Chapter 5: The Outcast (UPDATED)

Meika moved quickly through the summer woods. She knew the area like the back of her hand and could find her way in the dark if need be. All her life, the trees of the forest had been her best—and only—friends. White birch, hanging birch, common and great oak, silver beech, shivering aspen, white elm, red maple, alfr larch, and many more besides.

The villagers of Stelmond relied on their healer for many things. Cures for illness and injury, for humans and beasts alike. Childbirth gone wrong, fevers that would not break, splintered bones that healed crooked, horses gone lame, a child kicked in the head. There was no end to the ailments Ela could cure—especially when she added a touch of magic to her healing.

That magic was the reason Meika had never had any friends. Though no one from the village would call the healer a witch to her face—there wasn't a family among them who didn't owe Ela a debt of gratitude—they disliked and distrusted magic and those who used it. The First Alderman, Old Travers, was a good example. He'd come to see the healer many times when Meika was little and always spoke well of Ela in public but forbade his children from playing with the daughter.

Growing up without friends hadn't been so bad when she was little. But as Meika grew older, it became worse. Listening to the song of the trees or the chatter of forest animals was no substitute for human friendship. Even the most magnificent trees cared only for wind, rain, and sun. Rabbits and deer were charming, and foxes clever, but they had only so much to say before they repeated themselves.

She'd tried to make human friends, but it hadn't worked out. The kids were either too old, too young, forbidden to speak to Meika, or just plain mean like Darya. The Alderman's daughter had even made Valant, the village's other oddball, turn his back on Meika for no other reason than she could. That had stung. For a time, Meika had planned all sorts of mischief to get back at the stuck-up bitch. In the end, she hadn't. For which Meika was now glad—casting a spell on another person without consent was forbidden. The purest enchantment could turn out bad if the heart of the spellcaster was filled with dark thoughts.

Now that Meika was older, she'd found a great friend—and mentor—in her mother. It still hurt that Valant had snubbed her, but it was his loss more than Meika's—she would have been a better friend to him than Darya flaming Travers. A true friend, not an overbearing princess who had it all and didn't think twice about ordering the little people around. Darya, so tall and pretty, a new dress for every festival, hair braided and set with gold and sparkling stones inherited from her mother.

When she was younger, Meika sometimes wished she was Darya. To live on a big farm with a loving family. To be the daughter of the First Alderman. To come and go as she pleased. Everybody wanting to be her friend. It seemed the height of happiness to a little girl. But those daydreams were years in the past. It seemed oh so silly thinking about it now.

But of late, Darya had begun invading Meika's thoughts again. Sometimes she came unbidden to Meika's dreams, the Alderman's daughter with the flawless white skin, tall and proud, golden hair flowing in the wind. And sometimes, Meika found herself daydreaming about Darya, wondering what the other girl was wearing and doing. It was infuriating. Meika really didn't fancy Darya. Not one bit. Darya was good to look at, far prettier than anyone else in the village, but such a horrible, horrible person.

The healer's daughter passed another silver beech—they were scattered throughout the woods at odd intervals, always standing alone. Her mother had said the trees had been planted by the alfr in ages past, but she could not say to what end. Beyond the beech lay a creek that flowed past the cottage. She followed it for a hundred paces until she reached a place where you could hop across on some stones without getting wet. Meika crossed and rushed into the clearing on the other side.