Chapter 29: The Chapel (NEW)

Meika's first instinct was to break free of the icy vice around her neck. She clawed at whoever was strangling her, but the assailant didn't relent for a moment, forcing Meika down on her knees.

Deep inside Meika's mind, someone started banging on the green door. To the Pit with the Shadow; she'd rather die than open it.

The attacker started wailing, a forlorn cry that rose in volume and pitch until it became an unbearable crescendo, echoing through the stone chapel.

The noise gave Meika something to focus on. Against every instinct, she let go of the hands around her neck, touched the dragon figurine cradled between her breasts, and channeled the light spell she had readied before entering the chapel.

Bright silvery mage-light flooded the darkened room, chasing the shadows from every nook and cranny.

Meika's would-be murderer released her neck, and the scream turned into a howl of fear and anguish. She slumped forward on knees and elbows, gasping for air, desperately drawing more power to try and make the light spell shine as bright as the midday sun. Meika knew that if she fumbled this, she wouldn't get a second chance.

As the light grew in intensity, the attacker backed further away, and Meika got a better look. It was a girl some years younger than Meika, somberly dressed all in black save white lace around her neck and cuff. The girl tried to find refuge from the light behind a stone pillar, but there was no escaping Meika's magic. Like the holy radiance of Zeyn, the mage-light had no one source, illuminating everything equally from every direction and none.

"Make it stop," the girl wailed, holding satin gloves before her eyes.

Meika ignored the girl's plea—if the light went out, the ghost—or whatever the thing really was—would probably attack again.

"Who are you?" Meika said, already sure of the answer but wanting to hear it.

"I'm his real daughter," the ghost hissed, looking at Meika through her gloved fingers.

"You're Raina?" It wasn't really a question. There was no mistaking Jakov's daughter, even with her hands in front of her face. Tall for her age, about Meika's height, straight brown hair, wide-set eyes, and sharp features. Precisely like her portrait.

"You'll never take my place," Raina said, half pleading, half snarling.

A hundred conflicting thoughts and emotions swirled through Meika's head, nearly causing her to lose control of the light spell. All the little things that had seemed off about Deepwoood Manor threatened to make sense. Meika wasn't there yet, but she could feel the truth struggling to be set free.

"I'm not trying to take your place," Meika said, moving closer.

Raina slithered backward, keeping the column between them, hands still covering her face.

"No? You sleep in my bed, wear my clothes and my jewelry. My Father has named you his heir and apprentice. How is that not taking my place?" There was no pleading in the girl's voice now, only malice.

Meika halted. Chasing the girl around the room accomplished nothing. It would be better if Meika could get her talking. Maybe the dead girl could explain the growing number of things about Deepwood that didn't fit together.

"He said you died," Meika said, hoping a direct approach would work. "That his line was ending. He wants me as his apprentice and my friends for other roles."

"No. No. No!" the girl wailed. Black tears ran down Raina's cheeks, staining the white lace around her neck.

"This isn't a chapel," Mieka continued. "It's a tomb. Look," she said and pointed at the lids of the four stone caskets.