Chapter Sixteen: The Lethal Leak

"He's not lying, Irma. It was probably a glamour spell! Vance didn't do it, actually, he has no idea what's going on and you're kicking your own ass with these impulsive actions."- Hay Lin lowered her voice, even more, looking over at her friend both rebuking and concerned.

"A glamour, right. How didn't I think of that."- Irma huffed and sat back in her chair. "So, I not only broke a Duralex glass in my boo's head, I dragged him all the way here while unconscious, for questioning, over someone's glamour spell."- she summed up with sarcastic bitterness. "Amazing."

"You have to be more careful."- Hay Lin said. "You could've killed him...that's a tough glass to break."

"Expensive shit. What else do you expect from the Hales' household goods?"

"What are you going to tell Vance now?"- Hay Lin bit her lip.

"I was kinda hoping to borrow one of your grandmother's short-term forgetting potions, you know. The type she used on your grandpa once and on Eric's bitchy mom last year..."

Hay Lin paled at that. They were at the Dragon, which was back to business for quite some time now after the second floor was renovated. Entirely...

Just remembering the price that erasing someone's memory had cost her and Yan Lin made Hay Lin shiver.

Well, it had been Yan Lin both of the times but it never ended well. These potions did more damage than they were of help.

Magic came with a price, especially this type of purely personal gain one.

"If we can even find one."- the Air guardian muttered. "Remember how that guy from the Eye made our home place explode? We lost most of our belongings because of that... Thank God our memories are digitalized nowadays..."

"Shit."- Irma gasped. She had almost entirely forgotten about that disaster.

She had been in a terrible state back then anyway, just having discovered Martin's dark secret...

"What am I going to do, for real? I gave Vance Michael a terrible concussion and then dragged him here to ask him a bunch of weird-ass questions against his will. He thinks I'm a fucking psycho..."

And Irma hid her tense face in her palms.

Hay Lin thought about it fervently. How could she make this easier on her friend?

Vance was sleeping up in the Lin residence, a bag of ice on his head. And yes, after how they had cornered him, he surely had a low opinion of them now. To say the least. She wouldn't be surprised if he reported them to the police either...

"I have to go. To Kandrakar, they have to help me with this one."- Irma stood up abruptly. "I'll ask Halinor to send me a portal. Yeah, that will have to do-"

"Whoever glamoured into Vance knew how to throw you off."- Hay Lin's sudden cogitation made her halt her step. "A little too skillfully if you ask me."

She turned around to look at her eyes:

"Huh...well, yeah, the Eye of God. They have magic users working for them, remember? They might already know that me and Vance date, I mean it's not like we've kept our relationship very private-"

"Think about it, Irma."- Hay Lin went on. "Could it be the Eye of God and their attempt to get to us? Yes, sure, but isn't this oddly specific?"

Irma blinked a few times. The Air guardian's words made her insides twirl in tension.

"I mean...I suppose but who else benefits from taking Mara and throwing me off with a Vance glamour?"