chapter ten

Before Rory had begun to walk down the newly paved road to Talia and Greg's house, she needed to make a call. Her former stepbrother, Darius, was still looking for his father.

Of course, against her mother's wishes, she did as much as she could to help him. Yes, Roger was into some bad stuff, but they both knew he'd never abandon Darius, not even Rory.

She stood at a gas station at the only pay phone in town that worked. "Hello?"

"Hey, Darius. It's Rory."

"Oh. Hey, how uh-I heard about the attacks. I'm sorry you have to go through that again." Rory sighs.

"Thank you. Are you in town?"

She hears him hum. "No. I actually, found a lead. Somewhere near Vegas. A pretty small motel so they don't get much business. He recognized the photo and said he came here with some younger girls, not teenagers, but still. He left out the next morning but never checked out."

"No idea what might've happened?"

"Nope." There's a pause, and Rory takes a second to look around. "Hey, I'll call you back on your phone later. I have to do something."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

<>

Rory knocks on the Rainers' front door and steps back as she waits. She doesn't notice the curtain in the door's window pull back for a second before the door opens. She looks away for only a second, and a voice cuts into the air.

"What the fuck are you doing at my house?" Rory scoffs, placing her hands in front of her.

"You know you're not the only one that lives here right?"
There are running footsteps that come from the living room, and Greg is roughly pushed out of the way by Talia.

"Move! Thank you."

Greg scoffs, walking down the small step into the living room.

"I'll be in the gym." He walks out of the room, and through the doors leading onto the porch. He closes the door behind him, and Talia turns back to Rory.

"What brings you here?" Rory shifts nervously, moving inside the house and turning towards Talia. "Do you have any contacts I can use?" Talia winces, shaking her head.

"No, I don't actually. Uh...I can get you some tomorrow though?" Rory nods sadly, about to leave, but Talia stops her.

"Do you want to stay for a bit? I'm making chicken parm.

Talia lifts her eyebrows in hope, and although Rory seems as though she is about to refuse, Talia ignores it, dragging her to the kitchen."

<>

Inside the shed/gym, Greg is fiddling with his phone, clicking through tracks when he finally stops on one. He secures the headphones in her ear and uses tape to wrap the phone around his chest.

He starts to headbang and play the air guitar. He shimmies on the weight bench and leans back. He groans when he accidentally hits his head on the bar. He hurries forward, and lays down, beginning his reps.

<>

Rory sits on a stool, twirling spaghetti noodles on her fork as Talia dances around the kitchen to the music playing in the background.

"So, I hope you don't mind me asking, but how are things with you and..." Rory knows who she is referring to, smiling to herself.

"Uh...we are great now. I-I'm surprised she took me back after I ignored her for so long..." Talia comes to Rory's side, patting her on the shoulder.

"You saw her almost die. You were distraught, I'm sure she understood." Rory nods to herself.

<>

The door of Greg's gym opens slightly. He doesn't notice it, pumping his muscles with the dumbbells in his hands.

He's grunting hard, music blasting in his ears. He stares into the large mirror in front of him, mumbling to himself.

"God, you're so sexy." He keeps pumping his arms.

"Donna is gonna love it. "Oh my god, Greggy, you're so fit. Fuck me behind the bar." Yeah, I can see it now." There is movement in the background that he doesn't notice, but after seeing something in the mirror, he squints, looking behind him.

"Don't come in here, Talia. Especially with that stupid dog!" The lights in the room flicker slightly, but it's nothing he notices.

SLASH!

Gregory's eyes widen as a machete slides into his skull. His hands instantly fall, the bar crushing his neck with force.

<>

Rory checks her watch and adjusts her glasses as she stands. "Hey, I gotta go, but I'll see you later?" Talia smiles, nodding.

"Hey. Don't forget to come to my party." Rory throws a thumbs up, leaving through the door.

<>

When Rory got home, she was surprised to see the girls on her porch. "Hey, guys. What are you doing here?" Casey's minds seemed elsewhere as she stared off into the distance while a cigarette hangs from her mouth.

Lily walks down the steps and drags Rory inside with her. Kim shoots up from her position laying back, quickly following after them. She looks back for only as second, not noticing Casey's intense glaring at the police car.

"You comin'?" Casey nods absently, putting her cigarette out.

<>

"I won't be participating in a group costume. James and I are gonna be the couple from Rocky Horror." Casey snorts, as she reads a book in the corner.

"Do you even know their names?" She asks. "Do you even know how to read a book?" Lily asks in return. "Obviously."

"Okay, let's stop being mean to Casey. She just asked a question." Rory says with a chuckle. "Well, the answer to her question is no. He made the suggestion, and I went along with it." Kimberly snorts at the answer.

"Well what about you three? Casey's probably not going to show up as anyone. Are you guys doing a thing with her?" Rory shrugs. "I'm being a pirate." Casey answers in a dull voice.

"You're always a pirate." Rory says with a confused face. "And I look sexy every fucking time." The brunette says with a smile as she still reads through her book. "I actually wanted us to do the Phantom of the Opera." Kim says, looking Rory in her eyes.

"Nerd." Casey whispers. 

"Cunt." Rory rolls her eyes, patting Kim on the chest. "I'm kidding, I'm sorry." Kim places her face in her hand. Casey sighs, not responding.

"Casey?" Lily walks out the room for a second, and Kim nervously clenches her jaw. "I forgive you." Casey says, flipping a page.

"You're seriously gonna be a pirate again? You could dress with us?"

"She can?" Kim asks, making Rory glare at her. "No, that's okay. You don't have to babysit me, or whatever. I'm good on my own." Rory frowns. "Are you okay?" Casey shakes her head no.

"It doesn't matter though. We're gonna go to this party, and I'm gonna go home and smoke some weed like I usually do." Casey takes off her glasses, revealing her swollen left, and swelling right eye. Her eye bags were a plum color, and she rapidly blinked as she tried to focus on her book.

"Okay."

"How are you reading? You can't even drive?"

"I like to persevere." Rory smile and pats her shoulder.

<>

thank you to the people that have read this! i stopped writing this script out of frustration weeks ago, but i've written the party scene and final act so this is gonna be fun to finish!