Vanilla Vs Cookies and Cream (3,500 words)

After school finally let out, I rushed outside, just like everyone else. I waited for Kameron outside of my car, trying to stay out of the way of the cars beside me pulling out. It was only September, but the air was beginning to get chilly. I didn't like the cold, but I loved the smell of crisp air, so I waited outside the car in a light jacket.

"Where are we headed?" I asked my sister as soon as she reached her side of the car and opened the door.

"What?" Apparently she hadn't heard me over the noise of the car door slamming as we both got in.

"Where are we going?" I questioned again, starting the CRV.

"The Cold and the Creamy."

"Put it in the GPS." It was a fifteen minute drive to the ice cream shop, so we chatted lightly on and off as I drove. Steve had offered to take us, but I wanted to be home by five to eat supper and do homework and I didn't know what time he planned on leaving.

When we arrived and got into the little ice cream parlor, Steve waved us down from his table. It was a lot cooler inside the shop than outside, they still had their AC going full blast, making me which I had thought to bring a jacket. I always somehow ended up sitting under the air vent, which was the coldest spot in the room, so I should really start remembering to bring a jacket whenever I go out. I don't care how warm it is outside, the inside of stores and restaurants were always at frigid temperatures.

"Hey," I smiled at the blond man, taking the chair next to his. "How's it going?"

"I'm good, how are you?" he inquired, ever the polite one. He was leaning his arms on the table, exposing his muscles under his blue short-sleeve button-up.

"Fine," I said. "Where's... what's-his-face?" I had forgotten Kameron's new friend's name. Surprise, surprise.

Steve laughed a little. "Thor? He'll be here eventually. He's a crazy driver, so if he doesn't get pulled over, he should be here any time." He noticed my leg jiggling up and down rapidly. "You okay? Nervous or something?"

I shook my head, putting a hand on my knee to cease the swift bouncing. "Just cold. Also, it's a habit, so." Steve chuckled again, eyes crinkling at the corners a little. His eyes, I thought. They're such a nice color. Not quite a sky color, more like baby blue, with a touch of royal blue.

"Hey, Ali?" Kameron said, giving me an endearing smile when I glanced over at her. "Will you get me two scoops of chocolate chip cookie dough in a bowl?" She batted her eyelashes at me mockingly, knowing I would do it even if she kicked me and said, "get me my ice cream, idiot!" Although, to be fair, if she ever said that we would both know she was joking.

I scoffed, somehow knowing she was going to ask that the moment she said my name. "Sure, Kameron. Be right back." I picked up my purse and headed to the counter, intent on getting myself a cookies 'n cream while I was up there.

**********

Steve watched Alina walk away, her long brown braid swaying just a touch. She looked very pretty in the jean skirt and fancy-looking red shirt she was wearing. The white-gemstone heart necklace set the ensemble off nicely. He didn't just like her looks though; he also enjoyed her for her personality. She was upbeat, silly, open, and very friendly. He liked that she had admitted to ignorance the first time he had met her, not arrogantly claiming to have it all figured out. And he had seen the way she conversed with Bruce and Peter, immediately trying to be welcoming even though she was the new girl. It took a lot to be that kind of brave.