The Hellfire Club (Part 6)

Lucas passed the ball to Jason on the court, trying to avoid his opponents. It was his night, his time to shine. Jason made his move to fake out his opponent and tossed the ball into the basket. 

~~~

We watched Erica roll on the D8 and the D10 sided die, and it rolled high. We cheered in response. 

Afterwards, I decided to do a skill check, but Eddie started to laugh at me. Snickering at the fact that I rolled pretty low, and my character just suffered. 

Mike was next to suffer, and one by one, the group was low on health. 

"Time out, time out!" One of the guys called. 

The six of us huddled in the back together. "Guys, I hate to say this, but we've got to flee." Gareth said. 

"I concur."

"What?!" I asked, "Didn't we just agree, "To the death"?"

"That wasn't literal, Henderson!" Gareth whispered to me.

"Vecna just decimated us. We can't kill him with two players." Jeff said.

"You too?" Dustin asked, "He only has 15 hit points left. Don't be pussies."

"Pussies?" Gareth asked. "Really?! Cause we're not delusional?"

"Delusional?" Erica asked, "How about not cowards?"

"Sounds to me like you're scared, Gareth." I teased, and we started to argue back and forth.

"Hey!" Eddie called out from behind. "If I may interject, gentlemen, (character's name), Lady Applejack." We all slowly turned to face him. "Whilst I respect the passion, you'd be wise to take Gareth the Great's concern to heart. There is no shame in running."

However, Dustin, Erica, Mike and I didn't want to run. 

"Don't try to be heroes." Eddie said, and he looked at me. "Not today, (Y/n). Kay?"

"One sec." I said, holding up a finger. We all crowded around each other again. 

"What do you think, Mike?" Dustin asked.

"How many hit points do you and (Y/n) have left?" Mike asked. 

"Twelve." We answered, and everyone just winced.

~~~

"Here, inbound!" The coach from Hawkins said. "They're gonna try and take away Jason and double-team him. That is gonna free up Patrick."

"Wait, no no no!" Jason interjected. "You gotta let me take the shot."

~~~

"It's risky as hell, (Y/n)." Mike said to me after we said our options. "But you AND your brother are the ones on the battlefield. So it's your call."

"What do you say, (character's name)?" Dustin looked at me.

"Who do you take me for?" I asked, raising my eyebrow. 

Suddenly, the look on Dustin's face almost worried me. "Screw it." Dustin finally said. 

"Exactly." I grinned at him.

We turned back around and said together, "Let's kill the son of a bitch."

~~~

"Winners find a way to win." Jason said, "Let me find a way."

~~~

"The chances of success are 20-1!" Jeff said to me. 

"Never tell me and my sis the odds." Dustin said as I glared at Jeff. 

~~~

"Just get me the ball. Get me the ball." Jason said, determinedly with the rest of his team nodding in agreement. 

~~~

"Give me the D20." Dustin announced, and Eddie tossed it to him with a mischievous grin on his face.

~~~

As Jason took the shot, the team watched as the ball hit the rim of the basket. He knew it was over. 

~~~

The dice landed on an 11, and Eddie was shaking his head. "That's...A...MISS." He shouted, sticking his tongue out.

"No!" I shouted, covering my mouth with my hands. 

"Shit!" Dustin yelled. "Shit!" He flung some papers off the table in anger, and now it was left to me. 

~~~

Lucas leaped up to grab the ball that bounced off the rim, and everyone dove to him. He managed to break through the barrier of the two teams, and found himself a path to escape, dribbling the ball with him. 

The timer ticked on the last three seconds of the scoreboard with the score being 69-68.

~~~

I felt Mike putting both hands on my shoulders in anticipation as I rolled the die in my hands. Everyone winced, and I could feel Dustin's shaky breath breathing down my neck as he squeezed my right shoulder. 

"Please!" Gareth's voice seemed to echo for me, as I focused on the die in my hands. I prayed.

"Come on, (Y/n)!" Dustin pleaded. 

~~~

The buzzer buzzed when the time struck 0, but the ball was still in the air, and at that time, everyone was standing up at the benches. 

~~~

My D20 was rolling, and it continued to roll towards the front of the map, and I held back my own breath. 

I was surprised when it landed on a natural 20. 

~~~

The crowd exploded into cheers for the win.

~~~

"Crit hit!" Erica shouted, patting my back. "Good job, (Y/n)!"

She wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled me in for a big ol' bear hug. I was still trying to figure out how to breath. 

"Yeah!" Dustin and Mike cheered. 

"What?!" Eddie was even surprised. "What?!"

Mike turned me around, while the rest of the group cheered amongst themselves. He pulled me in and whirled me around, laughing. When no one was watching, he planted a kiss on my cheek, and then set me down. We stopped for a moment after what had happened, and we sidestepped away nervously. 

The other guys in the back had patted the back of my shoulder. 

"Way to go, sis!" Dustin shouted. 

"That's why we play!" Eddie said, with a big smile on his face. 

I smiled at Eddie, who waved his hands out towards me as a way to congratulate me. 

It took a while, but we finally packed our things up to head home. We were still cheering as we burst through the school doors. Dustin had his arm wrapped around my shoulder. "That's my sis!" He pulled my head down and rubbed it with his knuckles. 

"Ow, Dustin!" I grinned, "Let me go!"

I couldn't wait to go home.