The Nina Project (Part 2)

*Third person POV*

The following day, Eddie went to Rick's house to scrounge around for food. He couldn't find anything for a while as he pulled out cabinets and drawers, until he found a can of spaghetti-o's. 

"Yeah," He chortled. "You'll do."

The stove lit up with the flames and Eddie placed a pan overtop it. Once it was finished heating up and cooked a little, he plopped it all in the bowl. 

He decided to reach Dustin again.

"Hey, Dustin, this is Eddie the Banished. You there?" He let go of the button and only heard the static sound. "Dustin, can you hear me?"

~~~

"Dustinnnn. Earth to Dustin~" 

Nancy sat upright grogily, and pulled the antenna out on the end. "Hey, it's Nancy." She sighed. 

"Wheeler! Hey." Eddie exclaimed, his mouth full of something squishy. "Uhm, I'm gonna need a food delivery, like really soon, unless you want me going out into the world."

Nancy's eyes started to close until she clicked on the button again, "No..." She murmured. "No, no, no. Don't do that. Just stay where you are, and we'll be there as soon as we can."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Listen, uhm, can you pick me up a six-pack?" Eddie asked. "I know, it's stupid as shit, drinking right now, but a cold beer would really calm my jangled nerves."

Nancy lowered her head, and turned over to the couch where Max slept. Or was. 

"Um, I'm gonna call you back." Nancy said quickly as he spoke.

"No, don't you dare - Wheeler? Wheeler?"

Nancy hurried over to Dustin and slapped his chest. "Dustin!" She said, and shook his shoulders. Dustin muttered something in his sleep, and then dozed off again. "Wake up!"

"What-?" Dustin opened his eyes and groaned. He leaned his head back against the counter to relax a little until he hit his head on the glass of the TV. "Ow-!" Drool fell out onto the side of his mouth, but he ignored that.

"Aren't you supposed to be on Max watch?"

Dustin wiped the sleep from his eyes. "Yep. Yep, yep, yep!"

"Then where is she?" Nancy glared at him.

"She's right there." Dustin said, gesturing to the couch. "...A second ago. I swear, I just dozed off for..." A let out a gasp when he looked at his watch. "...An hour." 

Nancy was angry, but she didn't say anything. Dustin got up quickly and followed her up the stairs to the kitchen to find Max with her sister Holly and her parents. 

"Morning, guys!" Nancy's mom exclaimed by the stove. She was making breakfast. Nancy and Dustin relaxed their shoulders for a bit. "Everything okay?" 

"Yeah," Nancy let out a shaky breath. "Yeah, everything's okay." 

Max looked over her shoulder and looked up at Nancy and Dustin.

"I think it's so sweet that you guys are sticking together like this."

"You could try sticking together at a different house for a change..." Mr. Wheeler mumbled as he glanced at the newspaper. Mrs. Wheeler glowered at him, and then held up a plate to Dustin who just stared. 

"You know you and your sister are welcome anytime." Mrs. Wheeler said to Dustin. "Have you heard from her and Mike?"

Dustin nodded, even though it was a lie. He hasn't heard anything from (Y/n) since a few days ago. "Totally. You're like family. And (Y/n) says you're like a third mom to her." She smiled at him. Dustin walked over to the pancakes. "May I?"