FOUR

" Are they dating? "
episode 5

" Are they dating? "episode 5

• • • • • • • • • • • •

Pants echoed through the dim, empty halls Mateo had ran his way from S all the way to the emergency room he heard they were located. He didn't dare use his skateboard to get there. No way in hell did he even consider it.

".. I'm sorry, Langa." The redhead's faint voice was heard.

"It's not your fault, Reki. I'll be fine."

The brunette could see Reki's worried face as he got closer, watching as he eyed his friend in suspicion. "Are you sure..?"

"Reki..!" Mateo ran to the injured male, stopping himself from throwing a hug at him when he noticed his slung arm. His grip tightened on the board in his palms. "I- I'm so sorry, Reki. I didn't– I shouldn't have—"

"Heyy, c'mon, don't start crying. Not in front of the kids," Reki spoke teasingly as he gave a comforting smile, placing his uninjured arm around Mateo. "I'm fine. You didn't do anything wrong."

"But—!"

"No 'but's! It's fine. Say it with me. It's fine..."

The taller boy drooped his head, looking like a sad puppy. "It's fine..."

"Good! Now, can we please leave? I'm pooped..!"

Mateo could only watch in agony as they all began to leave, silently trailing behind them. If only they knew what he did. They were only setting themselves up for a future of pain...

• ——— •

It was dreary within the class as a certain new student dozed in and out of reality. He had a hard time sleeping last night, seeing as he went home rather late. And even then, he was too worried to shut his eyes. He wasn't sure what would happen if he wasn't aware even for a second.

Mateo had also been worrying about Reki. He still felt bad about his injury, feeling as if it were his fault. Maybe if he had been more serious about the race, it would've been him in that position and not his friend. That would make him feel thousands of times better.

However, if he had taken the time to know his brother better, he could've prevented it from the very beginning—

"LANGA!!!!"

Startled, Mateo turned to the direction of the shout, seeing Reki standing out of his seat. His cheeks flushed, a questioning gaze being directed towards the redhead. What kind of dreams was he having!? And in the middle of class, too! Had he no shame..?

"What was that all about..?" Langa questioned Reki at lunchtime, watching as he stuffed his face with food.

"Nothing..."