EIGHT

" I'm sorry. "
episode 7

• • • • • • • • • • • •

Every since the trip Mateo took with his friends, he's noticed how distant they've been with him. It always feels awkward whenever he arrives, or when the topic changes to something involving Adam. Some looks would be spared towards him, which felt very unsettling. Was something said that he didn't know of? Did he do something wrong? He could only hope someone would tell him and they could resolve everything.

The brunette drummed his fingers on the long wooden table, waiting for the rest to sit around it. The soft noises echoed throughout the, practically, empty dining room, giving Mateo some sort of comfort. He hated the eeriness that lingered in the walls. Tadashi had told him to wait at the dining table, seeing as he was called for a meeting with his brother and their aunties. Ainosuke must be punishing him for leaving without permission. But why did his aunts want to see him?

Those women disliked him, after all. He was merely a peasant boy brought into the estate out of pity, and for reputation. He didn't belong there. Mateo still had the blood of servants. He was nothing like them. The boy hardly noticed when three women, along with Tadashi and Ainosuke, walked into the room. The butler pulled out their seats, plating their food for them before dismissing himself from the room.

Dinner began awkwardly. Dishes clanked against each other as they cut into their food, taking small bites out of their meals. Mateo hated how everything they did was so elegant and poised. It was as if they weren't even human.

"Mateo, dear," one of his aunts called out. "How's school coming along? Not failing again this year, will you?"

The snide remark kindled giggles amongst the old women. It irked him. But what really ticked him off was seeing his older brother from the corner of his eye, smirking in his direction. He hated him. He hated his aunts. He didn't deserve this. But he couldn't lash out again. Not now. Not yet.

"No, auntie. I'm working at a steady pace." His answer was simple and to the point. Mateo didn't bother wasting more breath than he had to on them.

"Good, good," each aunt echoed, pleased with his words. "Spending your free time wisely? We do not need a repeat of before, do we?"

Mateo glanced to his brother, his action a reflex out of panic. He understood who they were, but were they really that heartless? It was baffling how little people cared for their families. Mentioning a trauma that ran deep in his older brother, and cut deep into his own mind. Ainosuke didn't seem fazed, his face set to his normal politician smile. Freaky...

"No, we don't. I've been helping shops here and there, to get an understand of the layout of the town, and for work experience." He looked them dead in the eye as he spoke, then went back to his food, wanting to finish as soon as he could.