10

You travelled with Yunho, Mingi- who would be accompanying Yunho at all times, San, Hongjoong and Seonghwa. To say that you all were nervous and worried was an understatement- you all were either biting your nails or fidgeting uncontrollably as you got closer to the border. Yunho, who was sitting with you kept squeezing your hand as if reassuring you, or maybe himself. Seonghwa tried to keep himself busy with reading a book but as soon as it got dark, he kept sighing. Hongjoong dozed off perhaps as an escape but he'd wake up looking like someone scared him. And San and Mingi... you could see the anxiety on their faces.

You decided to chat with Seongwha to keep yourself and him busy, inquiring about the family rivalry between Halaland and Wonderland. Seonghwa, glad for the distraction, told you all that he knew- Apparently the royals of Halaland were holding a grudge because of the 'unfair' division of the border dividing the two kingdoms.

"It's about a century ago now, but they believe Wonderland messed with the division, which is why they're hell bent on taking that big chunk of land that's the closest to them."

"But that's... outrageous- Wonderland lost more than it should have, isn't it so?"

Seonghwa looked at you, "I forgot for a moment that you're from Eden. Does Eden think so?"

"Eden thinks Wonderland may have lost some land, but their strategy was that they gain the more fertile lands. What do you think?"

"Interesting. Well, I suppose everyone's history is different. We have various versions."

"What do you think?"

"Well," Seonghwa began, "Wonderland's version is that we did lose most of our land to Halaland- lands originally owned by the families residing in Wonderland. What we got was a peace treaty that is now being violated."

"No," you shook your head, smiling a little, "What do you think, Seonghwa?"

Seonghwa smiled, "I think Wonderland made it such that most of the fertile land fell here. Halaland does have the least fertile lands which has always been a problem for their agriculture. But... I think this problem isn't one we can blame simply on Wonderland. I think corruption at both ends did occur."

"That's what I aim to find out, if I'm lucky," you bit your lips, "leverage. Just what happened, and what do we have over Halaland, which, frankly the way things are going, there has to be something."

"There should be something at the castle," Seonghwa said, "Let's hope Halaland- or worse, Wonderland hasn't burned what's left."

You arrived at the old castle, wowing because it was more majestic and grand than the castle the Jeong family was currently residing in, though the paint had worn off and left abandoned, it wasn't maintained anymore. You looked at Yunho, "This looks haunted now."

Yunho laughed a little, "It used to be much better but since Halaland's been on edge, those living here abandoned the castle."

You nodded, entering the castle, finding it utterly dark and full of cobwebs that hung on your path. One of the guards lit a fire, lighting the candles one by one and you found the lobby lit, the mosaic tiles no longer the colour they used to be, paint peeling from everywhere.

"Definitely not haunted," Mingi told himself.

"Well, it's a roof over our heads," Hongjoong said, "We should rest a bit before we get to work."

You were restless, though, roaming around the room that must have once been the king's, Yunho watching you inspect everything.

"You won't find anything here," he finally said.