Chapter 1

Four years ago....

"Ha ha! Salena looks like a whale!" Helen Cross pointed at me while laughing. Making all of the other kids laugh.

"She's a fat ugly shark!" Becca Blue screeched at me, her pigtails flopping as she threw her head back to laugh.

"Don't listen to them, I like your shark PJ's." Phoebe told me, as I felt hot tears sting my eyes.

"Are you sure you need another bowl of ice cream Whalena?" Helen hissed at me. "Oh nooo, did I make poor Whalena cry? Everyone watch out! she's going to flood the place!"

I stared down at my bowl of vanilla ice cream, the tears coming faster now. I pushed the bowl away from me and ran out of the room crying. I heard Phoebe call for me, but I just ran. It was the last day of school and we had a PJ and ice cream party. I knew I shouldn't have worn my shark onesie, but mom insisted so I did. I ran to the office and demanded that the lady call my mom. She tried to ask me what was wrong, but I just kept yelling at her to call her. She finally broke down and called. That was the last time I saw any of them, besides Phoebe. Until now....

Present Day

I was woken up by the stewardess, who told me we were arriving at LAX in about 20 minutes. I nodded at her in thanks. I signed as I looked out the window, thoughts from years ago playing in my head. I was excited to see Phoebe again, it had been a while since I had seen her. She visited not too long ago at the funeral. I was glad she was picking me up with my dad, at least the ride home wouldn't be too awkward.

The plane landed and I waited with my backpack and carry-on to make my way off the plane. I slowly made my way off the plane and began walking to baggage claim, my headphones still in my blasting music. I waited at the carousel for my bags before I was flung to the ground in a bear hug by my best friend Phoebe.

"Ahhhh" I yelled before hearing hmph, as I hit the ground.

"OMG OMG OMG! HIIIIIIIIIII" She yelled while laying on top of me, squeezing the breath out of me.

"Phoebe...hi, please let go....need oxygen...." I wheezed out. I looked up to see my dad smiling down at me before pulling both of us up.

"Hey kiddo, how was the flight?" My dad asked, giving me a grin. Carl Chambers was a big beefy man covered in tattoos. He was macular and veiny, like those bodybuilder guys. He worked out pretty much everyday because he owned a boxing gym and still participated in a fight or two during the weeknights. He wore a black tank top and some light washed denim jeans with a pair of converse. I visited him every summer when I was living with mom, because his line of work wasn't really the best to be a single father raising a teenager, so I never got the chance to live with him.

"It was s'okay" I smiled as he took my bag from me. "A bit long for my liking though," I rolled my neck back, stretching my muscles. Phoebe bounced into view, literally bouncing on her toes in front of me.

"What'chu do feed her, an entire bag of sugar before pickin me up or somethin?" I asked, setting my hands to stop Phoebe's shoulders, trying to keep her planted to the ground.

"She's been like that for about a week, I tried to lock her out, but she somehow found a way inside asking when you were getting here." My dad told me, eyeing Phoebe like she was an annoying puppy that wouldn't get lost. Phoebe sticks her pierced tongue out at him, earning her a chuckle.

"Alright, alright, let me getta look atcha," I told her, eyeing her up and down. She wore a green sweatshirt with a white collar popping out from beneath with a plaid mini skirt with black and white ripped tights underneath, paired with some beat up combat boots. She had two short pigtails sticking out either side of her head, one blue and the other green. Scraps of hair being kept in place with care bear barrettes. She had a hello kitty band aid across her overly blushed bright pink nose, her eyeliner sleek and thin, making her green eyes bright. Her nose is a bit swollen from a new piercing.