Chapter 8

I shrugged on a pair of baggy sweatpants and hoodie, trying to make myself as shapeless as possible. I walked down stairs with my bag, I had my signature Lavender silk shorts and gold sports bra shoved into it along with my boxing shoes. They were gold and lavender the same colors donning my gloves. It had been awhile since I had worn them or used them. This was my first fight without my mom. I felt the stab in my chest and pushed the thoughts away.

"Ready to go?" Dad asked, he wore a black tuxedo with a bow tie around his neck. He was playing the announcer role tonight. I could hear the excitement in his voice. I nodded and we walked out toward his car. I threw my bag by my feet and climbed into the passenger seat.

"I don't understand why I can't drive myself." I said with a huff.

"Because I don't want anyone to know it's you until you walk out to the ring. Next time you will be able to drive yourself. But today, I am your chauffeur." He grinned as he climbed into the truck and shut his door. "Now, when we get close to the gym, I need you to duck down until we get to the back of the building." I looked at him with slitted eyes. "Save the rage for Dane." He said as he pulled out of the driveway. I slumped in my seat and pulled my phone out. I had a few texts from Phoebe.

Dane has been asking where you are. I told him you weren't feeling the best and that you would come later. He has no idea!

I typed out a quick reply before I hit send. As we got closer to the gym my stomach started to churn. My body relaxed as we pulled into the parking lot behind the gym.

"You ready kid?" Dad looked at me.

"Let's do this." He came around the truck with a blanket. He opened the door and wrapped it around me, covering me even more. I was rushed into a back room designated for fighters. I had a private room to change and get ready.

"Alright, I have to go help finish setting up. You're up in 20 so get ready. You're gonna do great Sal. Pheebs will be by in just a few." Dad explained before he left the room, leaving me alone.

I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. I sat on the bench and just breathed. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and placed it on the dock. I pulled up my spotify before selecting my playlist. The music was loud and angry and it was what I needed right now.

I changed into my shorts and top, as I laced up my shoes I heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I yelled over the music. I heard Phoebe call her name from the other side and pulled the door open a bit to let her in. She came in, Val was helping dad get stuff ready, ushering people in. Phoebe looked at me as I bounced around.

"Want me to do your hair? I could do some braids." She asked, I nodded and sat at the bench for her to braid my hair.

I closed my eyes and took deep calming breaths. The music roared in the background. I repeated the words 'I can do this' in my head. I am King Sal. I am the King. I pulled the facade on like a well fitted glove. I became King Sal. When I opened my eyes, the nerves were gone and I was the King. My nerves turned to cockiness. I let the anger and pain that I always kept under wraps seep out a little. I felt the rage stir inside of me. It made my skin tingle. It was hot, like my blood had turned to hot lava. I opened my eyes and stared at myself in the mirror. Phoebe finished my braids and patted me on the shoulders. My feet tapped on the floor, the energy inside me not being able to stay inside.

"Kick his cocky ass." Phoebe said as she looked at me through the mirror. I gave her a smirk.

"I plan to show him who the King is."

"Your dad wanted me to give you this." She handed me a box. I opened the box to find a silk lavender robe with a hood. It had the words "Salena 'King Sal' Chambers" written in cursive on the back. It was gorgeous. I pulled it around my body and felt the soft silk caress my skin. I heard music begin to play over my own music. I walked over to the dock and paused the playlist. I could hear dad introduce himself and welcome the audience to the Chambers Gym. He thanked everyone for coming out on this special occasion and that he had a night no one would forget.