Vol. 1 Chapter 5.1 - Class of Defects

"Your name was Satou Kazuma right? Do you have a question to ask?" Our hot homeroom teacher asked.

"Uh yeah I actually do. You said that we had recieved 100,000 points this month right?" I asked. I didn't really care about uncovering the mysteries of the school or something stupid like that. I just had a feeling that if I didn't ask a few questions, I'd be in a load of trouble in the future.

"Yes, that's right." She looked at me with expectant eyes. What are you expecting sensei? Sorry but I'm already engaged.

"So how many points are we going to get next month?" There the big question. If we get 0 points next month, then I'll be back to my debt-ridden early days and I can't slack off when that happens!

I fully expected some idiot to go and say 'Are you an idiot? Sensei said that we get 100,000 points every month!'. Seems that they weren't as dumb as I thought.

That statement would be contradicted so many times in the future and it's not even funny.

"I'm not allowed to divulge that information. But the one thing I can say is be careful." Well that more or less proved that something fishy is going on.

"Well thanks for nothing I guess." I scoff as I sit back down. Chabashira-sensei glared at me for my 'rude' behaviour, but didn't comment on anything.

As bewilderment spread among the students, Chabashira-sensei
looked over the room.

“Well, it appears no one has any questions. I hope that you enjoy your time here as students.”

Many of my classmates could not hide their surprise at the large
amount of points.

“This school doesn’t seem as strict as I thought,” I hear Ayanokouji mutter behind me.

He probably thought that he was talking to himself but Horikita and I looked in his direction. She must have imagined he was speaking to her.

“This school is extremely lenient, isn’t it?” It's my turn to mutter something this time.

Despite all of the restrictions, like being forced to live in the
dormitories, being forbidden to leave the campus, and being prohibited from contacting anyone on the outside, no one here seemed to have any complaints. In fact, you might even say that we’d been given such preferential treatment that it was like we’d been transported to paradise. Of course, the Advanced Nurturing High School’s most impressive statistic was its near 100 percent placement rate for students advancing into higher education or entering the workforce.

This government-sponsored school’s thorough guidance of its students hoped to ensure a better future. In fact, the school heavily advertised this. Many of its alumni went on to achieve fame. Typically, no matter how famous or impressive a school might be, the areas of specialization are limited. For example, one school might specialize in sports or in music. Another might focus on something related to computers. However, at this school, any student could hope to succeed, regardless of their field.

Only this school had that kind of name-brand value. I’d assumed that the atmosphere would be cutthroat, but the majority of students looked like normal kids my age.

No, that wasn’t quite right. After all, we’d been capable enough to pass the entrance exam. If we could reach graduation day peacefully, without incident, then we would have achieved our goal… Was such a thing really possible, though?

No of course not, there has to be something else. I've learned enough to know that when things are too good to be true, it's because they really are. There've only been a few times when that mindset of mine proved me wrong and even then it still wasn't like anything I expected.