Prompt #4

Type: Friends turned lovers  

Scenario: Rain moment- realization 

I remember running in the rain that late afternoon. Sprinkles only but the sky spilled enough to have me shiver and my hair grow wet from the drops. I loved how the goose bumps of my skin spiked each time a bit of water would fall on my bare arms.

"Do you usually forget an umbrella?"

There they were, standing in the rain with me. Letting the sprinkles run through their arms. I wonder why they stood with me despite the umbrella tucked away in their backpack. Maybe they knew I loved it even though I'd end up sick in bed the next morning.

Maybe we could have been sick together.

"I can't imagine someone enjoying getting wet," they said walking up the driveway of my house. My sister's car parked on the side enjoying a free clean up from the sky as well.

"I don't mind a little water." I told them. Taking a glance at the parked car they appeared relieved to see someone home. Strange to see them care about that now even though I told them about it a minute ago.

"Well then is there anything else you need to tell me?"

I remember not saying anything. Not saying "Thank you" or "I hope to see you back tomorrow." Just nothing. I stood there with the rain and them.

Maybe I thought they could read my mind but I was just so transfixed on how they looked so different in the rain.

It felt like I was looking at a new person. I don't know why I felt that way.

Maybe it was just the rain.