prologue

"... she told me i wasn't a maybe. that i was a yes. and then, we kissed!" 

nini could feel her heart shattering. she was quite used to the feeling by now. every time ricky mentioned his feelings for gina, she felt it. and it hurt like hell. but never, never as bad as this. they kissed. they were together. 

"and then i said her catchphrase! was that a mistake? does that make me seem little kid-ish? you know what? i don't really care. my mind is running a mile a minute. i'm so happy, neens." he sounded so happy. the joy in his voice was overwhelming. and slightly soul crushing.

"neens? are you there?"

"i'm here, ricky." she didn't know what to say. thank god they weren't on facetime. her face would've revealed it all. "i'm so happy for you! you deserve it, rick. i'm so, so, happy for you." she told him, choking back tears. he was distracted enough not to pick up on it.

"do you think we're dating now? do i still have to ask her? does a kiss mean that we're automatically dating? god, this was so much less confusing with you." there was an abrupt pause. nini held her breath.

"shit, neens. i didn't mean to say that. i just meant that i knew what was happening when we got together. does that make sense? shit, i'm sorry. are you still okay with me talking about gina? now that we're sorta together. i know you said you were fine with it before... but how about now? are you sure it's okay..." he bursted, worriedly.

"ricky, breathe. don't worry, i understood what you were saying. and yes, i'm still okay with you talking about gina. calm down." she didn't mean a single thing she said. she heard him take a deep breath.

"okay, i'm calm. sorry, about that. and thank you. i'm so glad that we're friends again. i know i say it all the time, but i really i am." friends. the word rang in her head. "who else would be able to calm me down with my gina freakouts?" he joked.

she laughed, a second too late. still, he didn't notice. he continued to ramble about gina and the trailer disaster, but she couldn't focus. kiss, kiss, kiss. friends, friends, friends.

she lost her ricky. for good.

he was gina's now.