i wanna be painless

"seokjin." his name reverberated across the room causing for a shiver to run down his spine.

he looked at his friend, neomgyu, standing beside ales. she was looking at seokjin in sorrow, but the glint hiding in her eyes tells seokjin otherwise. behind this facade that she has, seokjin can sense the overjoyed emotions that she has.

"you." he stomped angrily but was stopped by the guards he didn't noticed were near him.

"me?" neomgyu pointed at herself and looked at him mockingly, "you were the one who fell in love with a human, all i did was tell ales."

neomgyu walked down the stairs and sauntered towards seokjin, "you laid out all the puzzle pieces that leads to your downfall, seokjin!"

seokjin had felt so small under the overpowering laugh of his old friend, "how can you expect for a tempted person to not solve it at all?"

"destul!" both looked at ales the same time. one with an accomplished look, another with a defeated face.

"neomgyu, could you leave for a second?"

she bowed down before answering, "yes, ales."

all seokjin wanted to do was to rip off the sinister smile seen on her face while she walks away in victory. her wings are on full display, as if showing him that there was no way to get out of this situation. that even if he was given a choice to choose from the different circumstances laid out in front of him, she would always have the higher ground and things would end up the same.

the sound of a loud screech made seokjin refocus back on where ales stood. they ordered for the guards to go outside and seokjin could finally feel his hands again.

"are you aware of the rule that you have broken?" a chorus of voices had said.

seokjin did not spoke. he instead closed his eyes, an attempt to shield himself away from the over intimidating voices of ales.

"speak." ales demanded, hitting their hand against the armrest of their throne.

he flinched, tears spilled from his eyes as he answered, "y-yes."

"very well," ales plucked three feathers from their wing and whispered something under their breath.

"however, you will still receive a punishment." they walked toward seokjin and handed him the same three feathers from before.

seokjin carefully held the feathers in his hand, afraid that if he accidentally crumples them, the angel in front of him would be angered more.

"i want you to erase his memories." seokjin looked at them in horror. ales' face remained the same; face void of emotions, eyes as cold as the breeze in winter contrasting the warm color their eyes had.

"what?" seokjin said in disbelief, "i cannot do such thing!"

"i do not care whether you can or cannot!" ales shouted, "you did this to yourself, it is rightful to give you a punishment that you deserve."

when they observed seokjin was not going to answer, they continued, "use my feathers to erase each of his memories that involves you."

seokjin dropped down to his feet and begged, "no."

"no?"

"c-cut off my wings, kill me even, anything other than that."

"i have said what i have said." ales backed away from seokjin while looking at him in disgust, "you have until the sun rises tomorrow."

they glared at seokjin, annoyed from the lack of response, "do you understand?"

he nodded, staring still at the delicate feathers laying on his palm, "yes."

ales let out a hum as more tears from seokjin's eyes came out. he knew that there was no escape in this, he was trapped and the only way to get out was to hurt someone he loves.

he gathered all of his remaining strength and asked, "what if i was not able to erase his memories by your given deadline?"

"i will be taking matters in my own hands." the then soft wings they had turned into golden daggers. seokjin could see his own face off of the reflection and he would have laughed if given a different circumstance.

between blinks and tears, it was not long enough until he saw namjoon smiling. his sweet voice was a rest for seokjin's brain as he spent all his day battling harsh ones, the little things he does that seokjin will never understand but will continue to love — once the wings transformed back, he finally had a clear mind.

he clutched the feathers and walked away from ales.

he would not let anything — anyone — hurt namjoon.