Chapter 130

Max’s face was losing color rapidly and seeing this, Yulysion kept his words firm and true.

“If anything happens to the Lady, imagine how heartbroken Lord Calypse would be. Please, be understanding.”

“But… But….”

Max’s face twisted in pain and conflict. She clutched the shekel in her pocket. The image of ghouls and their rotten black flesh flashed before her eyes. She didn’t want to end up like that. Max was completely devastated at the idea of ​​never seeing Riftan again, however, she wasn’t the only one feeling that. Idcilla had an older brother who cherished her, and the priestesses too. They all had family and friends waiting for them. Even the soldiers, she didn’t want them to die. She looked at Yulysion with pleasing eyes.

“Then at least so-some of them…we must take with us. Even just some…”

“We can’t go back. It will only add to the chaos.” 

Garrow shook his head firmly. Their faces were as conflicted and distorted as hers. “We do not wish to leave like this either, but please understand our decision. For us, Lord Calypse’s orders are above all else.”

“Inside the ca-castle, there’s a noble lady from Livadon who came with me. She’s only eighteen… she was worried about her brother, so she followed him here. When this war is over, she is going to meet him…”

Yulysion’s expression seemed to break for a moment but he shook his head firmly. “It’s too risky to go back now. Please forgive us. However, your safety is most important to us.”

“I-I’m not that important of a person! I’m not as no-noble as you all think…!” 

At her sudden burst, Max sobbed and she couldn’t utter a word properly. Garrow was confused by her outburst, but sighed and pulled on the reins.

“We don’t have time to argue like this. There may be monsters roaming nearby. We need to get out of the canyon before they discover us.”

As he led her horse forward by the reins, the horse followed obediently. She forced herself to swallow the grief and her worries as they dragged her with them. Ruth, who always complained about her but still cared about her regardless. Idcilla, who always pretended to be strong, but actually had a soft heart. And Hebaron and the other priestesses, who were all unconsciously affectionate towards her… all their faces flashed through her mind.

Even if I return and stay in the castle, nothing will change. I will just become another ghoul whom the allied forces have to defeat later on.

Max made up excuses after excuses, but nothing buried the guilt of running away alone. She closed her eyes tightly and silent tears ran down her face. She felt helpless and  heavy guilt weighed her heart down.

Think about Riftan. You promised him. That you will be safe. You said to him you won’t do anything reckless…

However, the tears would not stop spilling as they fled the dark forest in silence. She kept looking back. She thought she could hear the sounds of screaming in the distance, or maybe it was all a hallucination created by her own guilty conscience.

“… I think we have to change our route.” Yulysion, who was leading them silently, suddenly spoke. He looked at Max’s tear-stained face and his expression grew grim, but he quickly straightened his face then resumed in his stern tone. “I can send a large group of monsters moving nearby. We need to find another route.”

“How many?” Asked Garrow in a serious tone.

“Thirty… No, about forty.”

“Trolls?”