Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Sam text me the next morning apologizing for his random exit yesterday. I replied saying it was okay and didn't even bother to ask what it was about, but I still felt uneasy about it. First, I'm talking total shit about this guy from high school, then I agree to go on a date with him and he sees me naked. What the hell was I thinking? I stop replying to him afterwards, I just wanted to be left alone.

I had absolutely nothing to eat in my apartment, so I had to do the unspeakable... grocery shop. I live in the town of Gilbert, Arizona. It is beautiful. The area I live in is green with white fences along the street. On the other side of my apartment complex, are huge and gorgeous houses. I will live in one of those houses one day. Realizing I am still daydreaming about living in those houses, I grab my wallet and jump into my car. I just bought my very first car not too long ago. A black Nissan Xterra. I hate it already.

I pull up to the closest Fry's food store and park. I've always hated getting a shopping cart. Half of them don't even turn, or the wheel is all kinds of fucked up and won't let you steer straight, but I got one anyway. 20 minutes later, half of my cart is filled, when I notice a girl standing next to me. She looks so familiar.

"Sarah?" I whisper. The girl turns to look at me, and I instantly recognized the sparkly blue eyed nurse from the hospital the night Evan came pouring blood into my apartment. Her eyes widen and she smiles.

"RY! Oh my God, How are you doing? You never visited." She sounds confused and disappointed.

"Well, I could tell I wasn't wanted and I was pissed."I huff.

"So... you have no idea what happened to him?" She asks with a sense of nervousness in her voice. I look at her confused.

"About two days after you left, Evan was discharged from the hospital and was arrested. It's been all over the news!" She pulls up her phone on the latest article about Evan Thompson.

 20 year old Evan Thompson ARRESTED for murder of two. Murder?! I snatch her phone from her hands continuing to read the article.

 Thompson was charged for brutally killing Jennifer Polmani (15) and Melanie Franklin (14). Franklin...FUCK.

"Sarah.... I have to go. Oh my God."I begin to sob and hyperventilate.

"Here is my number, call me later." I type in my number as fast as I can and run out the store,leaving my 20 minutes of torturous grocery shopping behind. I dial Sam's number as fast as my fingers could manage. I am now shaking and can hardly breathe. The phone rings for what seems like forever and suddenly stops, no answer.

"Sam?" I breathe. Silence.

"Sam?!" I hear a gasp of air exiting from his mouth. He has been sobbing.

"Where are you?!" I yell.

"My... house.. Can you... come here?" He begins to sob and my heart breaks.

"Of course, send me your address. I'll be there." He hangs up the phone and quickly sends me his address. I don't know what to expect, I've hardly talked to the guy. I don't know if he lives with his family, alone, or with friends. I speed down the streets my GPS tells me and pull up to an absolutely beautiful home. The home is a two story with black brick all around it, with the greenest grass you have ever seen in front. There is only one car parked in the drive-way and automatically recognize it as Sam's. I slowly walk up to the door and knock, silently hoping it is just him that is home. I already don't handle people's emotions well, I can't even imagine if his family is home. No answer. I knock again, and again, and for a third time. No answer. I begin to get nervous and try the handle, unlocked. I walk in and loudly but as softly as I could, I call for Sam.