chapter 2

Word count: 1700 words

Sakusa had expected some sort of party. Maybe a quiet one. Maybe everyone was drunk or passed out. Maybe there was a murder scene.

He did NOT expect to find Atsumu Miya curled up under a blanket, hugging a pillow, and sobbing.

Sakusa's hand fell from the doorknob as he and the blond stared at each other.

Then Atsumu lunged at his speaker, nearly turning the volume completely off. He also wiped his face as he turned his music down, and Sakusa tried not to notice.

"I'm sorry-" he started, still shook.

"No- I'm sorry! I kinda zoned out and forgot to turn down the music and-"
Then Atsumu's voice cracked mid-sentence and his composure crumbled. He sobbed, then wrapped his arms around himself as his shoulders shook.

Sakusa felt like a deer in headlights. What should he do? Could he just... walk right back out the door and leave? He'd accomplished what he'd come to do... but...

Sakusa found himself closing the door and moving forward, then sitting on the ground by Atsumu. Atsumu had his eyes squeezed shut, so when Sakusa hesitantly put a hand on his knee, he jumped a bit.

His eyelashes clung together and his lips curved down in an almost elegant pout. After a second Sakusa realized he was staring and looked away hastily.

"Ya know... I've never seen you without your mask on, Omi-kun."

"Omi-kun?" Sakusa echoed, confused and suddenly conscious of how close they were and the fact that he didn't have a mask.

"It's my nickname for ya. There's nothin' you can do about that by the way,"Atsumu informed him. "Yer kinda hot, Omi-kun."

Sakusa had to fight down a smile. So his face turned to a scowl, and the slight smile Atsumu had, faded.

Atsumu said he wasn't gay.

"Sorry-"

"No it's fine. I just- sorry I was just thinking."

"Oh okay."

The two sat in awkward silence, Atsumu sniffling occasionally, and Sakusa finally built up the courage to speak again.

"So... if you don't mind me asking... why were you crying?" he asked softly, meeting Atsumu's red eyes.

"Ah- well. It's just- I was just so stupid." Atsumu started to cry a bit again, and Sakusa awkwardly patted his knee.

After taking a deep breath, Atsumu began to talk.

"See, there's this person I've really always liked, and I thought h- they liked me back. Apparently not, and they're dating someone, and I read the whole situation wrong, and I- I feel so stupid because I actually confessed-" Atsumu's story became more and more hurried, until the blond burst into tears at the end.

Then, to Sakusa's mild horror, Atsumu leaned against him and buried his face into the blanket. Sakusa slowly sat back so he leaned against the couch, uncertainly wrapping an arm around Atsumu.

"I- I'm sorry," Sakusa said, mentally smacking himself. "Sorry" was now his least favorite word, as it was the only thing he could think of to say.
"I've lost someone I loved too."

Atsumu looked as startled as Sakusa felt with the fact that he was sharing this.

What am I doing?! Am I seriously going to tell him about her!? No way. What can I say instead?

Sakusa's heart began to beat harder in his chest. He was sure Atsumu could feel it.

And it only increased as the next song came on faintly.