Chapter 24: Nemesis

Liam wasn't sure where he should be heading, after leaving the morgue that is. He knew where Scott and Braden were, he knew what they discovered in that basement, he also knew that Chris and Nolan were going their way. He thought he wasn't going to be needed there, he didn't particularly want to see Monroe's carcasse either, he wished he could have confronted her in her time among the living, there was no use to it once dead.

The idea of joining Lydia and the new banshee crossed his mind, but before he could linger on it, he noted that he was walking by Theo's room. There he lied emotionless, unaware or...Perhaps aware of his surrounding, just unable to interact, or open his eyes for that matter.

An odd sensation overcame Liam at that moment, a few images escaped his memory box and flashed before his eyes, images of his and Theo's adventures together, if one could call them that. Their relationship had always been complicated, Liam contemplated the state of it from time to time, come to think of it, he never dwelled on it long enough to put an overall label on it. Where they...friends? Why did the word friend feel so heavy to think about towards Theo? Then perhaps... A nemesis?

" It's hard to imagine, seeing him like that..." Alec stopped him in his train of thoughts.

" What do you mean?" Liam answered, after realizing he was no longer in the hallway, but standing in by one of Theo's bed sides instead.

" Well, you said that you started off as enemies," his words couldn't be any truer than that, they really were the worst of enemies before, Alec walked to the other side of the bed as he spoke those words.

Liam seemed to be deliberating and picking his next words, not sure what or how to lay them out," Yeah... We did, he manipulated all of us to turn on Scott," he said eventually.

" You had the worst part in his play, he pushed you far enough to kill," Alec was referring to the fact that...Liam almost killed Scott in a fit of uncontrollable rage.

" I think about it from time to time, each time I come back to the conclusion that he wasn't really the only factor," it was hard for Liam to admit that, but the more he reflected on that part of their history, the less he blamed Theo for his actions that night, the intent of them at least.

" I get that," Alec nodded simply.

" Right now, the only thing on my mind is what he said about chimeras not being able to heal like us," he revealed, the worried look he had never left his face, the entire duration of their dialogue.

" you're worried?"

" Well... I don't necessarily want him to die..." Liam felt a bit exposed after Alec's question, though worrying about Teo's wellbeing it wasn't the most embarrassing thing to own up to, he immediately switched back to his concerned demeanor.

" What if... He needed help?" Alec broke the silence that chiseled in after Liam's response, " You said that in order to trigger the healing process we needed to feel pain...But, you also said that sometimes... too much pain can cause our abilities to halt,"

" Yeah... I can try that," The blond man set his right hand on Theo's side arm, black vains began to protrude on the chimera around the area of contact between the two of them, the black blood vessels extended towards Liam's arm quickly enough, the breathing of the patient became uneven, as he inhaled deeply and only exhaled shortly.

Alec noticed Liam's struggle taking his pain, his agony was clearly greater than they previously thought," Let's do it together?" he instantly put his hand on Theo's other arm, mimicking Liam's action, and sure enough, the black vains also appeared on his side. The young wolf was hit with a searing throb in the skull, a grilling burning sensation around the chest area and a foreign weakness all over is body.

" We should stop, we don't want to go overboard," Liam said promptly as he let go of Theo's arm. Alec was taught of the process, but it was his first time taking somebody's pain, in hindsight he did quite well considering the amount of hurt he pulled from the chimera. Both wolves seemed relieved after letting go, their heavy breathes filling the otherwise quiet room.

" Think he's gonna be fine?" asked Alec, as he tried to steady his respiration.

"Yeah... It's Theo, he came back from hell once, he can definitely do it again, I am sure of it," They were plunged in darkness for a very brief instant before the lights started flickering, on and off again at irregular intervals of time.

Their gazes shifted upwards as they looked at the sealing, eyebrows furrowed, " What's happening?" quizzed Alec in a hushed and warry tone. Liam chose to remain quiet, the lights were back on, but an eary itch niggled him. In his world, flickering lights at the hospital were never a good omen, especially with the situation they had their hands full with at the time.