Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

14th August, 2008

       I came to an abrupt stop, my cart skidding on the tiled floor. Mom almost avoided running into me from behind, and said, "Dia, careful there!"

       I nodded, muttering a brief apology, and stared at the person before me, whom I'd come face to face while turning an aisle in the supermarket.

      "Hi," Ajay said, his face brightening with a smile when he saw me. However, the smile wasn't what I first noticed. It was the angry red welt on his cheek, and the swollen eyes.

       "Oh my god, what happened to you?" I asked, going ahead to examine his wound.

       "It's nothing," he said, drawing back before I could touch him. "Not a big deal."

       "Were you fighting?"

       "No."

        "Then what happened? How did you get hurt?"

       "I fell," he said simply. Then he looked behind at my mother, and waved at her. "Hi, Mrs. Gandhi."

       "Hello, Ajay. So you're in the supermarket instead of your mom today? What, helping at home?" mom smiled.

       "Yeah, sort of. My parents and brother have gone out... I was alone at home, so I thought I'd get myself some ready to mix, heat and stir food packets for dinner."

       I was still observing the red mark on his cheek; it looked recent. There was no way he could have gotten that when he fell. What was he hiding? I wanted to ask him, but I figured I should wait, since mom was here and he wouldn't tell me anything. I looked up at him, trying to catch his gaze, but he was avoiding me.

      "How did you get hurt?"

        "I fell," he shrugged. "Clumsy as a pole. I look terrible, don't I? My brother had a nervous breakdown about his exams last night. I don't think any of us got any sleep."

        Mom made a sympathetic comment about exam time nervousness, then said, "So, how's school?"

      "All good, all good."

      "That's great. And how is your mother?"

       "She's fine, and right now, around ten kilometers away at a friend's party with my dad, celebrating their anniversary."

       "You know, why don't you come over for dinner? We're having a family feast."

      "A family feast?" he asked, looking amused. I watched his reaction, seeing how easily he convinced people that he was fine, that everything was fine. But somehow, I got the feeling that it wasn't.

      "Yes. Dia's grandparents—both the sets—are coming, along with her uncle and his family."

      "Well, seems like a big clan to me. I wouldn't want to disturb your family time or anything..."

       "It's not a problem," mom waved him away. "Put that packet food back; you're coming with us."

       He looked at me for help, pleading with his eyes, and I did the only thing I could think of at the time. "Mom, if he doesn't want to, then..."

      "Nonsense," mom said. "Come on, you two. We've got to hurry."

      And just like that, mom had us fall into step as we marched through the aisles, buying vegetables and spices and olive oil and what not. Ajay and I walked silently behind her as she scoured the shelves, dropping things into the cart. Occasionally, I glanced up at him, only to see him deep in thought. He looked tired... and a little lifeless. It was a stark difference from his usual appearance. I couldn't remember the last time I'd seen Ajay looking this... lost.