Chapter Two

Chapter Two

18th June, 2008

       Needless to say, this whole week was doomed. I had never had a worse day in my life—well, except for the week before last week, when I'd been locked in the storage cupboard, yelling for help. But then, it had been planned and even though I hadn't known it then, it was just a joke meant to win a bet. But today was no joke. It was the universe's way of telling me that something was going to change. First, mom had thrown away my favourite school bag. Then Ayesha had come up to my table in the canteen and tried to warn me off about the new guy. Now, Surya was calling to tell me that he couldn't make it to school to pick me up. What a perfect ending to a perfect day.

       Feeling lost and stranded, I saw Milli getting into the school bus and waving goodbye. I waved back once, limply, then let my hand fall to my side. The bus groaned and eased off with a cloud of dust, leaving me alone on the pavement. The main gates had crowded with parents and children, all of them preparing to go home after the end of one more school day. I straightened my shoulders and followed them, trying to merge with the crowd. Not that anyone was going to recognize me and come over to say hi, but still, just in case. 

       Nothing better to cheer you up than a twenty minute walk back home, I told myself. Wouldn't be the first time Surya was holding me up, either. It wasn't like I couldn't walk back without...

       Suddenly, a loud horn sounded from behind me, and it went on for three long, excruciating seconds. Then it blared again, and again, until I and a few other people turned to see what the commotion was about. I recognized the car immediately. My eyes widened. A head popped out from the backseat, and a pair of dark, familiar eyes twinkled at me. I remained frozen on the pavement, clutching the straps of my bag. This couldn't be happening.

      "Hey, get in the car," Ajay Saxena said.

       "No, thanks," I said immediately, "I'll walk home."

       "Your house is on my way."

        "I know."

       "Well, then get in."

        "No, really, I can go on my own. Thanks, though." I turned ahead, drowning out his next words, and started walking. Don't turn back, I scolded myself. Don't turn back.

        The car followed behind me at snail's pace, and I quickened my footsteps in annoyance. What the hell was wrong with him? Why wouldn't he leave me alone? Why was he following me around in his car? And why the hell was I walking as if I could outrun him?!

      "Nice way to make a guy fall to his knees," he remarked. The people walking in front of me turned behind to look at us, and I felt heat creeping into my cheeks. I turned back sharply and gave him a dirty look. 

      "Can you be a little less loud?" I hissed. "And stop following me."

       "Well, get in the car, and I will. I'll be real nice."

       His eyes were twinkling in that way again, the way they did whenever he was upto mischief. Suddenly, I started feeling hotter. I ignored him and kept walking, beads of sweat now rolling down my neck. It was just the walking, I told myself. And the humidity.

      The sky was covered with clouds, and everything was cast in a dull gloom. It was going to start raining any second now, and I didn't even have an umbrella. Shit.

       "Are you still mad about the storage cupboard thing? I swear, it was just a joke. Nothing personal."

       "I know," I replied tersely.