Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

31st December, 2010

         "Well, well," Milli said to me, her eyes following something over my shoulder. "Seems like someone is hell-bent on impressing your brother."

       I snorted, shaking my head, and smiled. Someone trying to impress Surya? Fat chance. Never happening. Still, when I followed my friend's gaze and looked back, I saw him engaged with Surya in an engrossing talk. Pranay was waving about his arms, talking passionately, while my brother was nodding his head in agreement. I raised my eyebrows, slightly surprised. Then I snapped back to the drinks I was mixing, and smiled a little to myself.

      "Care to tell me what's going on?" Milli asked a second later, as she dropped slices of lemon in each of the mocktails.

      "Nothing."

       "Really?" she demanded.

       "Really," I replied.

      "Well, it didn't seem like that day before yesterday, when we saw you in the coffee shop with Pranay."

       "Milli, we were just hanging out, that's it."

       "You were laughing."

       "What, I'm not supposed to laugh now?" I demanded, pretending to be annoyed.

       "Of course you are. I just meant to say that I haven't seen you that happy in a long time."

      We took the tray of drinks and Milli continued with her pointed, suggestive look. I sighed. For god's sake... she needed to lay off.

       It was New Year Eve once again, but this time, it was different in many ways. First of all, mom had given up her job to open a boutique of her own, and we were celebrating the sixth successful week in her home-made chocolate and baked goodies franchise. Secondly, Milli and Rishi had gone official, announcing to both their parents that they were serious about each other and meant to get married someday. And thirdly, grandma and grandpa had finally come over for a stay at our house. None of these things were connected... they were disjoint and awkward and probably not causes for much celebration on their own. But here, now, surrounded in my living room by all the people, I couldn't help but feel exuberant.

      It was a merry gathering, alright. As Milli and I entered the living room, a burst of laughter greeted us. The whole of my family, along with all my closest friends, was gathered around grandma who was most certainly cracking a joke.

      We served the glasses of mocktails to everyone, and as I approached the corner where Surya was involved in a deep conversation with Pranay, I raised my eyebrows.

      "Hey there, you two love birds," I crooned, my voice teasing. "Anyone wants a lemon soda?"

      "With a dollop of my sister's sass," Surya announced, grabbing a glass. I stuck out my tongue at him.

      "Very funny."

       Then I saw Pranay watching me with a gleam in his eyes. I looked questioningly at him, offering him the tray. He took a glass, muttering a thanks. His look was promising—like I should expect something for later. I merely ignored it, because I knew he'd come around and tell me before I would die with the suspense.

      As I retreated, I heard them resuming their crazy conversation about bikes. God help me, I thought, smiling.

      "Hey!" Rishi said, almost slamming into me from the other direction, "Careful there."