Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

20th  November, 2019

       The first thing I'd done the morning after dad was discharged from the hospital was to courier the check. I hadn't forgotten about the phone call from the other day, or Uncle Ron's demands. He was blackmailing me... and there was nothing I could do about it. Unless I could risk revealing everything to my parents, I didn't think there was any other way. His words had rung in my ears; No matter what, I will find a way to tell them.

     I didn't doubt him; he would. It was best to do this his way.

     Since I had withdrawn money from my own savings account, I didn't need to give anyone an explanation. No one would come looking for the money; no one would even know. I just wanted to get this over with... I wanted him to take the money, once and for all, and be gone. Leave me alone, for the rest of my life.

       But I was wrong. He called me again, this afternoon, when I was at work. I'd already destroyed the first letter he'd sent my mom in the hospital, and the messages that he'd sent me, letting me know his company name and other information that I would require. This time, however, he'd upped his price. He asked for two lakh rupees.

      "I don't have enough money," I lied to him, my voice low, tense. "I have to pay for the wedding expenses, too." And I couldn't possibly withdraw money from my company account or the joint account that Pranay and I shared.

      Well, whatever remained of it. Anushka's fees had to be covered, including some other things that I had to settle with Pranay. 

      "Two lakhs, Dia. Don't forget," he said. Then he hung up.

      I clutched my head, letting out a deep, shuddering breath. He was going to ruin me.

***

       Unbelievable, I thought myself, as I smacked the steering wheel in frustration. This was exactly what I needed right now. As I parked my car at one side of the narrow lane, I put the blinker on and got out, cursing under my breath. As soon as I examined the front, I saw it. The flat tyre.

      Damn it, I thought to myself. Right in the middle of nowhere, and my tyre had to burst.

      To say that I'd had an awful day was an understatement. After Uncle Ron's phone call this afternoon, I'd had a series of unfortunate events. First, the structural engineer had resigned. Then, Anushka had called and given me a big lecture on wedding day nerves and the fact that everyone got cold feet before 'the big day', but that I was being a little too hasty in breaking things off. Then I'd had to deal with obstinate clients who refused to agree to my point, and refused to cooperate in anyway over the design of their outhouse and bungalow. I'd had enough of everyone's problems dumped on me today; I was pissed, I was at the end of my patience, and I wanted to scream. Instead, I was bending by the road, looking at the front tyre of my car which was punctured, and biting my lip.

       Muttering under my breath, I called Surya to see if he could come and get me. I was on my way home; although a little far, it shouldn't be a problem for him.

     However, he didn't answer his cell.  

     I scowled, and called Pranay.

      "Hey," he said, at the third ring. "What's up?"

       "Are you free?" I asked, looking up and down the deserted street. It was dusk, the sun had set, and a cold wind was blowing. Damn it, I didn't even have a jacket on.