Chapter 3

Warnings: Language, Violence, Rape

Chapter 3:
402 Years After the Virus; Month 8; Day 16

Again, it was a little disorienting waking up in a place I wasn't familiar with. Sabre had a digital clock on his desk, which was a luxury for me. My father had rigged a solar powered analog clock for us, so we'd always known the time if we got up and looked at it. It was just after six in the morning.

Sabre also had a TV sitting up on the wall above the desk. I only knew what it was because of being in Sabre's house when I was little and asking what the box with moving pictures in it was. I glanced at the bed next and Sabre had made it back home. He was twisted up in the covers and I thought it was quite child-like compared to his normal demeanor.

It was actually strange seeing him sleep. He wasn't talking, he wasn't angry, and he was most certainly vulnerable. I could very well smother him with his pillows right then and there, but it wouldn't get me very far if I did. What was I going to do until he woke up? It could've been hours from now.

For a while I just laid there, waiting for him to move or do something. Thankfully, there was a rough knock on the door.

"Sabre," Rinnick called. There was slight movement from under the blankets, but Sabre didn't actually move, so I stood up, grabbed my pillow, and smacked him in the face with it.

"What the fuck?" he asked.

"Rinnick is knocking at your door."

"You help him," he growled, "Key's on the table and don't fucking lose it."

"Should I lock you in?" I asked as Rinnick knocked again.

"No, just go away." I pulled on my boots and grabbed the key before hurrying up the steps. Rinnick seemed surprised to see me.

"He's sleeping," I said, "But I can help."

"I'd love to have you help, Alloy, but we just got a shipment in and they are heavy halves of beef and pork."

"Okay," I said, not offended at all, "I'll get him up." I loudly stomped back down the steps and went over to the edge of the bed.

"Wake up dearest dumpling," I said, "Or I'll hit you in the face with a pillow again. I'm not strong enough to help Rinnick." Sabre sat up slowly, glaring at me with cutting green eyes.

"You're a fucking fruitcake," he hissed and stood.

"Why do I have to be the fruitcake?" I asked, trying to use sarcasm to distract myself from looking at his shirtless torso.

"You're crazy, hence fruitcake."

"Then you're a fruitcake with double the fruit," I muttered. He heard me, I knew he did, but he didn't say anything. Then he walked over to me and held out a hand.

"Key," he said.

"Am I not allowed out of the dungeon?" I asked.

"Sabre—," Rinnick called.

"No," Sabre hissed back.

"Then I'm not giving you the key and you're going to have to beat it out of your pregnant fiancé in front of your father, so have fun."

"You have triple the fruit," he stated, running his hands down his face. "Just stand and watch us then. I don't want you near Annette."

"Fine," I said with a smile.

I followed him up out and he took my hand, which also happened to be the one with the key in it. We were out of the room, so I let him take it. I leaned against the wall looking like a worthless woman while they did all the heavy lifting. Weak or not, I still wanted to try and help, but got pushed away every time I tried. So, I went out in the shop and sat down at one of the tables. When they were done Sabre came in and got me.