Chapter 1 ~ A New Case ~

Jonathan McCarthy drove out of the city wanting to clear his head. His cellphone rang again. He checked it and saw his girlfriends name. He rolled his eyes and pressed the reject button. Didn't she realise she was the reason he was leaving?

He continued driving silently down the dim lit road. As he was driving he saw a woman standing at the edge of the road with her thumb out. A hitchhiker. He decided he'd pick her up since it was late and getting cold. He pulled over when he was close to her. She walked up to the window of his car.

"You need a ride?" he asked.

"Yes please, thank you!" she sighed happily. She opened the car door and hopped in. Man, she was pretty. Mid-twenties, blonde hair, blue eyes, really nice figure. How could anyone not pick her up?

"So what's your name?" she asked.

"Jonathan," he told her.

"That's a nice name," she replied. "Got any kids Jonathan?"

"No, I don't," he chuckled. "Maybe one day."

"I have one," she told him. "Riley. He's six."

"Really?"

"Yea. You know Jonathan, when you have a kid, you'd do anything for them."

"I get it, my mom would do anything for me," he chuckled.

"Bet she never did this," she said. Jonathan looked at her and saw a gun pointing at his head.

"Jesus Christ!" he cried.

"Jesus can't save you now, pull over," she told him. He did as told.

"Please, please don't hurt me," Jonathan begged.

"I don't want to hurt you, I have to hurt you!" she yelled. "I need to save my baby!" She pulled the trigger and Jonathan's body fell limp. She pulled the syringe out of her pocket and took some of his blood from his vein. She got out of the car and ran, putting the gun and the syringe in her pocket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lisa Greene sat at her desk organising paperwork, probably the worst part of her job. She tucked her golden hair behind her ear again as it kept falling in her face. It wasn't as blonde as JJ's but it was light hair nonetheless. Her blue eyes scanned over her paperwork as fast as they could, trying to finish it as soon as possible. She was writing a report on their latest case when JJ passed her desk, her long blonde hair blowing behind her. She was walking so fast, she was like a giant grey blur in her pantsuit.

"We've got a new case," she told Lisa. Lisa promptly finished the sentence she was writing and stood up from her desk. She brushed the crumbs off her white shirt and black trousers before grabbing her coffee and heading to the brief room.

She was the first one in the room so she took a seat and messed around on her phone waiting for the others. Two minutes later, Spencer walked in. She looked up at him. He was wearing a classic Spencer outfit; an off-white shirt with a loose maroon tie and an emerald sweater vest over that. Paired with black slacks and high tops, he definitely had his own style.

"Dr. Reid," she greeted, nodding at him. He chuckled slightly.

"Lisa, you don't have to call me 'doctor' all the time," he told her. "Call me Reid or Spencer, even Spence if you want. 'Doctor' is for people who aren't my friends." He pulled out the chair beside her and sat down.

"We've known each other for a week, I didn't know you considered me a friend," she laughed.

"Well I do consider it," he chuckled.

"What if I pull a Morgan and call you 'pretty boy'?" she joked.

"God no!" he laughed. "Actually seeing as we're friends I was wondering-"

"Wondering what kid?" Morgan asked as he walked into the room, grinning at Spencer. He looked as big and broad as usual wearing a fitted shirt that showed how large his shoulders were. Spencer started to blush and wouldn't look at her again, he just stared at his fingers.

"Nothing," he mumbled.

Soon the room was filled with the other members of the team and JJ started briefing everyone.

"The latest victim is Jonathan McCarthy. Originally from Texas, he moved to New York two years ago, aged thirty one, found shot in the head in his car on route 51," she said. "Local police are convinced it's a serial killer."

"Why would they assume that?" Morgan asked.

"Because so far there has been eight other victims," she told him.

"Eight?" Hotch asked. "Why weren't we called in sooner?"

"The NYPD didn't really make a connection until now," she said. "There's so much crime in the city, it's hard to know which ones are connected or not."

"What's the victimology?" Rossi asked.

"It varies so much that it's hard to blame the police for not noticing a serial killer at work," JJ said. She turned to the screen and pressed the remote. Eight more people appeared on the screen. "Aged between eighteen and sixty three, no gender preference, the only connection was a needle mark on each of the victims."

"Needle mark?" Prentiss asked. "Are they heroine addicts?"

"No, there is a single needle mark on each victim, almost as if they're getting a blood test," JJ explained.

"So the unsub is drawing blood from these victims?" Reid asked.

"It certainly looks that way," Hotch confirmed. "But why would the unsub need to draw blood from his victim?"

"Maybe it's just a signature," Rossi suggested.

"It's definitely original," Morgan added.

"We'll figure more out when we get there," Hotch said, standing up and gathering his things. "Wheels up in thirty minutes."