Chapter 4 ~ The Young Family ~

Prentiss knocked on the door for the third time with still no answer. Herself, Hotch and Rossi had arrived at the first victim's house. He had a wife and two daughters but there was no answer. The first victims name was Evan Young, his wife was Rachael and the daughters were Rebecca and Laura.

"Rachael Young, this is agent Prentiss with the FBI," Prentiss called through the door. "We'd like to ask you some questions about your husband, Evan."

"My husband?" a woman's voice called from the driveway. The agents turned around and saw a woman walking towards them with groceries in her hand. She had long blonde hair and looked to be in her late thirties. Emily met her halfway towards the door introduced herself.

"Yes, you're Evan Young's wife?" she asked the woman.

"Yes, I'm Rachael," she answered tentatively.

"We're with the FBI," Rossi said, taking out his badge. "We just wanted to ask you a few questions about your husband Ms. Young."

"My husband was murdered over two weeks ago and you want to ask me questions now?" Rachael asked.

"We know it's been a while but we'd just like to clarify a few things," Hotch told her. She stared at him and looked thoughtful for a minute before sighing and nodding her head.

"Come in," she sighed. She walked up towards the door and unlocked it. The team followed her into the house and stood waiting for her to return from the kitchen grocery-free. She walked back to them quickly and gestured to the living room.

"Shall we?" she offered. The four of them walked to the living room. Hotch and Rossi sat on the big couch, Emily stood beside them and Rachael sat in the small armchair.

"So, what do you need to know?" Rachael asked almost enthusiastically.

"We were just wondering, was your husband a good father?" Prentiss asked. Rachael paused before answering, looking shaken.

"Evan was...Evan was an amazing dad," Rachael said shakily. "He always bought the girls small gifts for no reason, he made pancakes for everyone on Sundays, he even bought them matching lockets with our faces in them. He would do anything for me and the girls, especially the girls." Rachael was crying by the time she had finished telling the agents how good a father Evan was.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Prentiss comforted her. Rachael pulled a tissue from a box on the table and wiped her eyes.

"It's fine, we'll be strong," she replied.

"Ms. Young," Rossi interjected,"was Evan a blood donor?"

"A blood donor?" Rachael asked looking confused. "Why would you want to know if Evan was a blood donor? That makes no sense!"

"We believe that your husbands murder is tied to a series of other murders in the area," Hotch told her. A look of panic crossed Rachael's face for a split second but then she regained control of herself again.

"Like a serial killer?" she asked.

"Yes ma'am, a serial killer," Prentiss confirmed. "So can you tell us if he was a registered blood donor?"

Rachael took a deep breath in and let it out slowly. "Yes, he was." She had barely finished her sentence when the front door opened.

"Hi mom!" a voice called through the house. It was a girl, who looked about twelve years old. She walked into the living room and stared at the agents. "Who are these guys?"

"Rebecca!" Rachael scolded. "Don't be rude, say hello first!"

"Hi," Rebecca said quickly, rolling her eyes. "Who are you people?"

"We're with the FBI," Prentiss told her. "We're asking some questions about your dad."

"My dad? My dad was awesome okay? He always took care of me and Laura."

"We know he did sweetheart," Rossi told her. "We believe he was the best dad ever but we still need to ask some questions."

"Fine," she scoffed. She turned to her mother. "I'm going to Aleisha's house later." With that she ran up the stairs and they heard a door slam.

"I'm so sorry for her being rude," Rachael apologised.

"Has she been difficult since before her dad was murdered or is it just recent," Rossi asked.

"It's very recent," Rachael admitted. "But I guess that's normal behaviour right?"

"Right," Prentiss agreed. "What about your other daughter, how's she doing?"

"Laura? She's...she's a bit young to really understand what's going on," Rachael said.

"How old is she?" Hotch asked.

"Six."

"And where is she now?" Rossi questioned.

"She went to a friends after school," Rachael said slowly.

"Okay then I think we've gotten everything we need," Rossi sighed, standing up from the couch.

"Thank you for speaking with us Ms. Young," Hotch said. "We'll get in touch if we find anything."

"Thank you agents," she said and walked the three of them to the door. When the door closed behind them they began discussing what they were told.

"So Evan Young was a registered blood donor," Prentiss said.

"If the unsub knew that then they would definitely have been involved in that system of workers," Hotch said. His phone starting ringing and he answered it straight away. "Garcia, what do you have?"

He paused and listened to what she had to say, the others waiting to hear what Garcia had found out. They reached the car and Rossi hot in the drivers seat, Hotch in the passenger side and Prentiss in the back.

"Okay, thanks Garcia," Hotch said and hung up the phone. "Garcia found five people who work in the system and need a blood transfusion. She's calling the others and they'll check out the suspects. We'll keep interviewing families."

"I was just thinking, something must have been a trigger for this unsub to suddenly start killing," said Prentiss.

"You think they might have only got news of the need of a blood transfusion recently?" asked Rossi.

"Maybe, or maybe it became urgent, I don't know but something must have caused the sudden killing spree," she replied.

"We should get Garcia to check out urgent blood transfusion cases within the last three weeks," said Hotch taking out his phone and dialling Garcia's number.

"This case just seems to be gaining more and more possible unsubs a at every turn we take," Prentiss sighed.

"We'll get him Prentiss," said Rossi. "Don't worry, we'll find this guy."