Chapter 8 ~ Waiting ~

"Would you shut up screaming?" Young sighed angrily.

"What do you expect? You kidnapped me?" Lisa shot back.

"Look, I didn't plan this but I'm getting desperate," Rachael said. "If your blood doesn't match then I don't know what I'll do. I'm tired of killing people, I just want a normal life, is that too much to ask?"

"A normal life? A normal li- You think you can just gonna go back to the way things were before all of this? Your life will never be normal now, don't you get it?" Lisa said. "You're gonna get caught sooner or later and you'll go to prison for life. There's no escaping this and now your daughter won't have a mother. Either way, your life will never be normal again."

"Daughters," she whispered. "I have two daughters. Rebecca and Laura. And I don't want a normal life for me, it's for Laura. All her life she's struggled, been bullied, confused. Nothing was ever normal for her. Doesn't she deserve it though?"

"What do you mean she's struggled?" Lisa asked quietly.

"She wasn't born like the rest of us," Rachael explained. "She was born as Riley, my son. Ambiguous genitalia. When the kids at her school all went swimming they found out and bullied her to the point where her hair started falling out. I had to take her out of that situation. And now on top of that, she's sick! I just want something to go right for her!"

Lisa said nothing. She didn't know what to say. Obviously what this woman was doing was wrong but...she almost understood. She had said it earlier that day; maternal instinct.

"I'm glad I could shut you up," Rachael hissed at Lisa.

"Can I ask where we are?" Lisa asked.

"A hospital," she answered sharply. "It was shut down a couple of months ago."

"Wait a minute," Lisa said slowly. "You're Rachael Young?" She nodded. "So...you killed your husband?"

Rachael scoffed with a manic look in her eye. "He had his life and lived it, wasted it at the office more like. Why couldn't his daughter get the same chance?" She glared at Lisa who sat motionless on the floor. It was at that moment she decided to say nothing else. If this woman was capable of murdering her own husband, imagine what she could do to Lisa.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reid paced and paced non-stop thinking about possible places Rachael could have taken Lisa. Nothing came to mind which was unusual for him. He'd never been...blank before. The worry and panic was getting to him, something which never happened. He didn't know the area, he didn't know the places that people would only know if they grew up here. New York was so big they could be anywhere; the city, a suburb, anywhere.  And they now had 20 hours left to find Lisa.

"Does anybody have anything to offer?" he almost growled at the desk of coworkers.

"We're looking at maps and searching the internet Reid, we're trying our best here," Morgan sighed.

"Well try harder!" he came close to yelling.

"Reid, I warned you before and I won't say it again. Calm down," Hotch said sternly locking eyes with Spencer. They glared at each other for what seemed like hours before Spencer sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "I just wish I didn't feel so hopeless."

"We all feel it Reid," Prentiss said. "But we've gotta keep trying and not let this get to us. Lisa wouldn't and neither should you. Just grab a coffee because it's already eleven and it looks like we'll have an all nighter." He took her advice and poured himself a cup of coffee to keep himself alert. The bitter taste seemed to work instantly and he got to work scouring maps with the others straight away. They worked in silence, the tension and pressure of the situation filling the room slowly but surely. Minutes passed slowly without any progress until finally someone'd phone buzzed. It was Morgan's. He pulled it from his pocket and put it on the table before answering.

"Any news babygirl?" he greeted and they knew it was obviously Garcia. She didn't answer with her usual witty remark since she was so stressed about the situation.

"I researched the area and there are three hospitals within a five mile radius that have been shut down in the last six months," she explained.

"Why were they shut down?" Hotch asked.

"Lack of staff," she replied quickly. "These hospitals all have high quality blood testing facilities that Young could use if she knew how to."

"Okay Garcia, where are these three hospitals?" Prentiss asked.

"Sending the info to your cells now," she said.

"Thanks babygirl," Morgan said before hanging up and sighing. He then spoke to the rest of the team. "Three locations, let's split up and get searching."

"Prentiss and Morgan you go to the first location," Hotch ordered. "Reid and Rossi go to the second and JJ and I will go to the third."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lisa opened her eyes slowly and felt her stomach growl. She saw Young sitting on the floor across from her staring at the gun in her hands. Lisa could feel beads of sweat on her forehead and could feel it rolling down her back slowly. Her hair was sticking to the back of her neck and her wrists were sore from the cable tie wrapped around them. She tried to speak but her voice wouldn't work since her throat was so dry. She swallowed and tried again, her voice coming out as a croak.

"Rachael," she started making her capturer look up sharply. "Please, I can help you if let me go."

"You think I believe you?" Young scoffed. "I'm not an idiot! I know that's an empty promise."

"It's not," Lisa said sitting up straighter. "I'm not gonna lie, you'll get locked up. You know that yourself. But I want your daughter to survive, there's no reason for her not to. If you let me go, I can promise that she will get what she needs."

"You think you can get preference because you're FBI? My huband tried to get preference using his status and that was a bust," she chuckled quietly. "So, I decided the best way to get what I needed was to kill him and use his blood. Unfortunately, he didn't have what I needed."

"Don't you realise how much you sound like a sociopath?" Lisa asked her sending her a confused look. "You don't want to be known for that. You don't want your kids to grow up with that hanging over their heads!"

"You know what I want? I want you to shut up," she said firmly, pointing the gun at Lisa.

"Fine, I'm sorry," Lisa sighed. She leaned back and gave up trying to talk out of what she was doing. She was about to close her eyes when three beeps sounded from one of the desks. "What's that?" she asked.

"Your results," Lisa answered. She stood up from her position and walked away. Lisa heard rummaging and moving around and then a sigh. It was quiet then for what felt like an hour before a small chuckle cam from Young. "You're a match. You're Laura's match."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apologies for taking so long with this! It's been so many months but I went through a really rough patch in my life and I kind of disconnected from everything and everyone! Then I started writing something else before getting back to this! But I finally got back on track so here all you lovely readers go! I hope you enjoyed the chapter (even though it was quite short!) and gain sincerest apologies! :-)