Chapter 5: Respect All, Trust Few

"The d-deceased is...Ibuki Mioda." I curse under my breath. Though I had seen her exed out photo when I entered the courtroom and seen her body, hearing it in words was just surreal. A voice asked Monokuma, "How do we know it wasn't you?" I wasn't paying attention to who said it, but rather, thinking. Monokuma stops, "Me? Oh no! That would be breaking the rules! The killer is one of you!"

Monokuma widely sweeps his arms at us in one grand gesture. Suddenly Usami— er...Monomi appears. She is screaming about Monokuma's evil ways. Having enough of her babbling, Monokuma ties up the former white bunny, leaving her no choice but to watch the oncoming trial silently without intervention.

Hajime speaks up, "Let's start with how the body was found." Nagito nods, "Yes. Let's start with that mystery." I speak up, "Let's discuss how the room ended up the way it was, with the body behind a tilted arcade machine and all." Hajime nods, looking around at everyone, "We have two possibilities, either the killer was looking for something or the victim fought back. Though, the latter seems the most probable given the location wouldn't have much value."

Hajime continues, "So with our current evidence, we can figure out that Ibuki fought back against her killer. Now, what about the cause of death?"

"I can't believe Ibuki's gone!"

"Wasn't it the head injury?"

"Which wound was it?"

"It was a lot of blood..."

"The arcade machine probably fell on her!"

Hajime points dramatically, "No that's wrong!" Everyone stops, turning their attention to the brunette. "Akane, what did just say?" The gymnast shrugs in confusion, "That the cause of death was a head injury?" Hajime nods triumphantly, "Not according to Mikan." The nurse shrieks in surprise from being put on the spot. "O-Oh um...."

Akane gasps exaggeratedly "Wah! Mikan, is this true?!" Said ultimate nods, "Y-Yeah... the cause of death was the neck lacerations. T-The head wound was only enough to knock Ibuki unconscious..." Hajime nods at the information. "That's okay and all but we haven't moved forward." Hiyoko pointed out. Hajime nodded slightly, asking Chiaki for a note. 'Note? There was a note?' Chiaki hands the blood splattered piece of paper to Hajime.

Hajime looks at everyone. "This note was found at the crime scene. Presumably dropped by the killer considering they're anonymous. The secret also seems to fit Ibuki, explaining why she was... killed." Mikan raises another note, "I f-found this one on her body..." Hajime looks at the nurse in surprise "Read it Mikan." Said girl shakily nods blushing as her eyes scan over what the note said.

-This Ultimate has a camera set up in the corner of the Ultimate Surfer's cottage.-

I snap my head towards Monokuma "Why'd you make it sound creepy!" He can't help but laugh quietly at the bewildered faces of my classmates and my angry one. Mahiru looks down flustered, "M-My bad..." I pipe up to explain for the redhead "She wanted to take some pictures of me in front of my window. We left the camera up though, never taking it down." Hajime tries to get the trial back on track, "So that proves that note wasn't the motive." Gundham gestures to Hajime, "So the note in your hands is the motive?" The brunette nods.

He inhales deeply before reading out the note.

-This Ultimate's carelessness killed their sibling.-

My heart drops. I got Ibuki killed. It's my fault... No.... I wasn't the one who bludgeoned her. I wasn't the one who slashed her throat. Everyone began murmuring.

"Who would do such a thing?"

"Was it Ibuki?"

"It's not me! I don't have a sibling!"