Chapter 3

Chapter 3

As I headed down, I could hear Johnny's whisper yelling from the living room. That was his tone when he was annoyed but had to be quiet.

"You're going to regret bringing her tonight," Tristan said lowly. He sounded more dangerous than if he had yelled.

"I don't get why you keep saying that. The poor girl needs it, her social capabilities have plummeted to an all-time low. Humans need to socialize to thrive, okay? She needs this."

"I get that you're worried, but she seems like she's doing fine on her own. Just leave it be."

"Since when have you cared about what Rosie does?" Johnny questioned.

Fair point, and I wanted to know the answer to that too had I not sneezed like an idiot, drawing their attention to me.

"Ready to go?" Johnny asked. I eyed him with suspicion. His hair was tussled like he'd just ran his fingers through it. His pale green eyes, which we both inherited from our Dad, were full of concern, telling me this meant a lot more to him than I initially thought. Still, I didn't like being embarrassed and forced into plans. He wasn't gaining any sympathy from me.

"Yeah."

Tristan didn't say anything; however, his glare spoke volumes. He didn't want me to come, that much was clear. I didn't know why, maybe he thought I'd cock block him tonight. That idea made me want to go even more.

We arrived at a house filled to the brim with the drunkest, most wildly annoying students I'd ever seen. Girls kept coming up to Johnny to say hello, giving him all the hugs and smiles. It was like he had done them a favour by showing up. Tristan quickly busied himself too, now talking to a guy I didn't recognize. A girl stood with them too, looking up at Tristan longingly while twirling a long strand of her brunette curls through her fingers.

I quickly ran off from that, thank you very much. Seeing girls flirt with my own brother was not appealing. I didn't much care for the jealousy gnawing at me at the sight of Tristan and that girl either. Finding the bar station was such a relief, I poured myself about two shots worth of Grey Goose, mixed with coke. It was a sure way to get hungover yet also the quickest to get drunk.

"Woah, who let you make yourself a drink? A girl like you deserves her own personal bar tender!"

I looked to my right to see Amir; my mood instantly picked up. He too happened to be on my roster, one of the few I kept around after meeting him at the gym. I usually met guys there.

"Are you offering up your services?" I questioned suggestively.

"I'd be honoured to serve you, Rose," he grinned, taking a step closer. Amir was always the kind and flirty type, his physique only amped my attraction towards him. The first time I'd met him, we both reached for the last pair of 45-pound plates, and he insisted I take them. It sounded like the beginning to a romantic movie had I not been, well, me.

We chatted for a little while. I'd found out that the hosts of the party are in Amir's fraternity. Frats boys usually turned me off and Amir didn't seem like the type to be in one. I guess stereotypes are really just that. Stereotypes.

"Hey Amir, who's this?" another guy showed up sporting a baseball cap, scruffy beard, and bloodshot eyes. Major stoner, gross.

"This is Rose. Rose, meet Jared," Amir introduced us, a hint of annoyance at the disruption.

"Nice to meet you, Rose. How come I've never seen you around before?" Jared's words were slow, and his eyelids were drooping closed as he spoke. I wondered how he got through school like this.