maroon is a color of acceptance

The court emptied in the blink of an eye when Poseidon's form started to glow a dangerous blue.

No one wanted to be there to witness the god's wrath. They fled.

His golden trident appeared in his hand, glowing a piercing shade of light that would leave any mortal blinded.

To any onlooker, he would make the image of anger. He appeared to be the incarnation of death and destruction. It was clear, he is a ruthless one. His appearance made a contrast with his true feelings. His eyes told a story of sadness so deep that it be something frowned upon by his immortal brothers.

They were gods. They had lived long, and they will live on for longer. Poseidon knew just as much as other immortals that it is never good to grow attached to a mortal. It would only end in loss for both of them.

Yet here the sea god was, grown so affectionate for a child born of a broken oath.

He was brave to acknowledge the fact that he would mourn the boy for millennia after his death. But now-

Now that he felt his son die-

Poseidon was weak in love. He knew he could not let this be. Perseus loved mortality; Poseidon hoped he will forgive him one day for what he is about to do.

He hoped that Sally would not be angry at him for taking away her son from her world. He hoped she would feel beyond happy to see her son live past her and out of the danger of dying on a quest or a monster hunt.

But before her happiness, he was thinking about his joy and no matter how much it saddened him to go against his child's wish, he cannot let Perseus die.

No.

In a flash, he was gone from the throne room of his palace and now standing at the edge of the city.

In front of him was a sight that will plague him for the rest of eternity. "Oh, my sweet child." He uttered; his voice broken with this tragedy.

He cradled Perseus' form. He was bloodied, the water around him lapped colored red and his body was twisted in ways it was so wrong.

With his one thought, Perseus' wounds sealed, and blood disappeared from his skin. Poseidon swept his hair back and just looked.

He tried to tell himself that this hero was destined for Elysium. But-

The man did not look at peace even in death. He looked pained. He looked sad. He looked angered. He did not look at peace. He did not look at peace. Wasn't that what death was about?

Even in afterlife, his child was suffering. There, Poseidon drew the line.

He would make Perseus immortal, and no one could stop him.

He smiled sadly.

Then, there was nothing but mist to hide the prove of divinity from the eyes of mortals.

Poseidon would gift his child with the purest form of godhood, he would gift him many domains so he gets the joy he could not have had in the beginning.

"Wake up, Perseus."

***

A week later, Percy woke up in an unfamiliar place. He blinked to adjust his vision to the darkness.

He was underwater.

He was at his father's palace. He would recognize the architecture anywhere after his last visits when Annabeth had basically threatened him to tell her all about the underwater city. He had laughed at her antiques but agreed to memories every detail to the best.

The ceiling was of an ever-changing shade of blue. Percy smiled a little despite himself and breathed a sigh. It felt so good to be underwater, like all his energy had returned to him.

The more concerning question came to his mind later. How had he gotten here again?

He remembered looking back at the closed door of the apartment, he remembered Annabeth peeking through the curtains to watch him walk away, he remembered standing by the river, he remembered the tug and the jagged rocks. Then, nothing.

He remembered mind numbing pain. Unconsciously he wiped at his cheek, like he would feel the hot tears he had cried. It would be impossible, he knew.

That's when he noticed his hands. His skin was same color as one of his favorite shades of blue and green.

A surprised gasp came out of his mouth. He rolled over the bed to stand- aaand he promptly fell face first. A thud and "Ow!"

The doors to his room opened. "Little prince, are you alright?!" The warrior merman asked, his voice a little panicked as he rushed through the open doors. "Yeah!" He called, "I'm fine. I'm fine..."

He was not fine. Gods, why did he have a tail. Did Triton found it funny to have a payback for his last prank at this time?

He knew gods lacked morals sometimes, but this was too cruel after he almost died.

He told himself to remember talking to Rodhe.

Instead of trying to use his new tail, he controlled the water to push himself back on the bed. He gave the merman a wave, "Thank you. I'm really alright."

The warrior merman bowed and stated, "His majesty instructed me to call him when you wake up."

Percy nodded but said nothing. He kind of had predicted his dad would say that. He started to prepare himself for the big talk that was due about his fragile life and his carelessness about it. He also started to think how he would convince his brother to take away whatever magic he had done on him. Hopefully, this would come without a bribe called his mother's cooking recipes.

The warrior merman was still standing. "Oh!" Awkwardly, Percy managed to say, "You're- uh- you're dismissed." He nodded and before going, he added, "If there is anything you need, my prince, just call out for assistance."

Percy muttered a small thank you with a duck of his head.

The warrior merman left. Percy fell back on the soft bed, left alone with problems like blue skin and a tail.

He sighed. (Hey, blue skin wasn't exactly that big of a problem but- oh, well.)

Gods, he hadn't completed his homework before embarking on this misadventure.