Chapter 2- Mysterious Savior

— • ♥ • —

Suddenly, the door slid open and a dark-haired boy strolled in, looking like he had all the time in the world. But despite his casual pace, he still looked like he was nervous about something.

I took one look at him and began screaming.

Undeterred, he squatted down and started untangling the bed sheets,

"Hey listen," he said, "Could you keep it down? I'm trying to help here."

I wriggled and writhed as he continued, "Keeping it down also means stop moving."

When I was finally free, I put my feet onto the cold, white-tiled floor. Walking suddenly felt so hard. My legs gave out, and I stumbled.

But before I could hit the floor, the boy caught me by the waist and pulled me close. "Careful, princess. I might not be there to catch you next time," he whispered teasingly when our faces touched.

"Get away from me," I said, disgusted, and pushed away. I grabbed the ring on the bed stand and put it on. The blood on my arm immediately turned red. Confused, I took off the ring. My blood turned blue. I put the ring back on. Red. Blue. Red. Blue. Red.

What was wrong with me?

There was the sound of footsteps again.

"We have to go," the Mystery Guy whispered urgently and dragged me towards the window..

"Uh, no? I'm not going anywhere with you," I said stubbornly and pulled away.

"Don't make me do this," he said warningly and lifted me into his arms.

"Pull the curtains and window open," he commanded.

"What?! Why?"

"Just do it."

The footsteps grew louder. I sighed and slowly slid the window open. The full moon and the swaying trees greeted me. Suddenly, a thought occurred to me.

"Please don't tell me you're jumping out the window,"

He didn't reply and determinedly climbed up on the windowsill.

"We're so high up!" I shrieked. The footsteps grew louder.

"Shut it, princess," he clamped a hand over my mouth and we jumped out the window. But instead of crashing on the ground, splattered guts and all, I felt myself landing gently.

"You can open your eyes now," Mystery Guy whispered in my ear. "You could also loosen the grip."

Embarrassed, I let go of his neck and jumped out of his arms. "How did you do that?" I asked as we walked through the forest next to the hospital. Red, orange, and brown leaves swayed on their branches.

He didn't answer. Maybe I was being too forward?

"I just wanted to thank you for saving me," I began, "and apologize for my attitude earlier. I'm Scarlett." I offered my hand to him.

"Don't think that we'll be friends just because I saved you," he scoffed and walked ahead.

"Well don't think that I have to follow you into the woods just because you saved me," I shot back.

"Fine with me," he replied and disappeared into the shadows.

Once again, I was lost.

Suddenly, the back of my neck started stinging. It wasn't annoying, but it felt kind of...weird. Like an insect bite, but not really. When I reached up to touch it, I felt a heart-shaped bump there.

My body moved automatically. Before I knew what was happening, I spun around and grabbed at the tree behind me. I felt an arm, and the Mystery Guy reappeared, rubbing the back of his neck. I looked down and found his arm in my hands. I quickly let go and accidentally met his eyes. There was a spark between our gazes. I closed my eyes and blinked hard.

"What are you doing to me?" I asked, squinting. "First you try to burn me, then you try to blind me." My neck still stung from the mysterious scar's appearance.

He rolled his eyes, "If I wanted to kill you, I would've just left you in the hospital. Besides, you're the one."

"The one what?"

He shook his head, refusing to answer. "My job here is done," he declared. As he turned to leave, I spied a heart-shaped scar on the back of his head, half concealed by his silvery hair. As I touched the back of my own neck gingerly, I realized that I had the same scar as him.

"Hey, wait!" I called.

But it was too late.

He was already gone.