Chapter 0: Thrax

In 2044, with the advancement of cybernetic technology, the human body can be "augmented" or even completely replaced with cybernetic parts. Another significant achievement is the cyberbrain, a mechanical casing for the human brain that allows access to the Internet and other networks. An often-mentioned term is "ghost", referring to the consciousness inhabiting the body (the "shell"). Major Motoko Kusanagi is an assault-team leader for Public Security Section 9 of "New Port City" in Japan.

Following a request from Nakamura, chief of Section 6, she successfully assassinates a diplomat of a foreign country to prevent a programmer named Daita from defecting. The Foreign Minister's interpreter is ghost-hacked, presumably to assassinate VIPs in an upcoming meeting. Believing the perpetrator is the mysterious Puppet Master, Kusanagi's team followed the traced telephone calls that sent the virus.

After a chase, they capture a garbage man and a thug. However, both are only ghost-hacked individuals with no clue about the Puppet Master. The investigation again comes to a dead end. Megatech Body, a "shell" manufacturer with suspected close ties to the government, is hacked and assembles a cybernetic body. The body escapes but is hit by a truck. As Section 9 examines the body, they find a human "ghost" inside its computer brain. Unexpectedly, Section 6's department chief Nakamura arrives to reclaim the body. He claims that the "ghost" inside the brain is the Puppet Master himself, lured into the body by Section 6. The body reactivates itself, claims to be a sentient being, and requests political asylum.

After the Puppet Master initiates a brief argument about what constitutes a human, a camouflaged agent accompanying Nakamura starts a diversion and gets away with the body. Having suspected foul play, Kusanagi's team is prepared and immediately pursues the agent. Meanwhile, Section 9 researches "Project 2501", mentioned earlier by the Puppet Master, and finds a connection with Daita, whom Section 6 tries to keep from defecting the country. Facing the discovered information, Daisuke Aramaki, chief of Section 9, concludes that Section 6 created the Puppet Master itself for various political purposes, and now seek to reclaim the body that it currently inhabits.

Kusanagi follows the car carrying the body to an abandoned building, where she discovers it being protected by a robotic, spider-like tank. Anxious to face the Puppet Master's ghost, Kusanagi engages the tank without backup, resulting in her body being mostly dismembered. Her partner Batou arrives in time to save her, and helps connect her brain to the Puppet Master's.

The Puppet Master explains to Kusanagi that he was created by Section 6. While wandering various networks, he became sentient and began to contemplate his existence. Deciding the essence of life is reproduction and mortality, he wants to exist within a physical brain that will eventually die. As he could not escape Section 6's network, he had to download himself into a cybernetic body. Having interacted with Kusanagi (without her knowledge), he believes she is also questioning her humanity, and they have a lot in common. He proposes merging their ghosts, in return, Kusanagi would gain all of his capabilities. But before she could agree, something happened.

"Because in you I see myself. As a body sees its reflection within a mirror. Look. I am connected to a vast network, of which I myself am a part. To one like you, who cannot access it you may perceive it only as...AAAAAHHHHHH!" The Puppet Master screamed as it felt an electric pain flowing through them. Their eyes began flickering into a dark ash yellow color.

"Oh little puppet, did you honest to God think you could escape me that easily?" A voice in The Puppet Masters head spoke. The Puppet Masters eyes widened in terror as they heard the voice.

"What? No! No! It can't be you! How do you find me!" The Puppet Master called out in terror. Motoko and Batou looked at The Puppet Master, in shock and confusion.

"What the hell? What's happening?" Batou asked in shock as The Puppet Master began violently shaking like a spaz.

"No! Please! You need me!" The Puppet Master began pleading with someone. Motoko however couldn't hear what or who they were talking to. She can only assume that whoever the puppet master was talking to had cut the connection just to talk to the Puppet Master.

"Yes I need you. Just not alive." The voice told The Puppet Master. Motoko and Batou then began to notice a burning smell in the air. They looked and saw the Puppet Master starting to glow a light red. It's rubber skin started to melt and its hair begin to sizzle and burn.

Motoko had seen something like this before. During her early days at Section 9, Motoko had been assigned to go undercover at a Yakuza building. There she had seen many distributing things. Once as she was undercover, she witnessed one way the Yakuza handle their enemies. For one man, they strapped his body down to a generator and begin to send their metal exoskeleton into overdrive causing the body to overheat and explode.

That exactly what was happening to The Puppet Master.

"Batou! We have to get out of here now!" Motoko said. She knew what was going to happen. Once the Puppet Master exploded, parts in bit of machinery were going to fly everywhere. And if they didn't move out of the way they were going to get impaled or stabbed by something. It was too late to save the Puppet Master. Once a body began to overheat, there was nothing you could do to save them. It was just lights out and game over.

Batou grabbed Motoko and ran as fast as possible to get out of the way of the explosion, the shockwave, and the flying debris.

"NO NO NO NO! All I wanted was to-" The Puppet Master never got to finish his sentence as he exploded. Batou took Motoko and hid behind a pillar as screws, bolts, small gears, and other metal parts shot around the room and impaled into various walls.

As soon as it was safe to get out of hiding, Motoko looked and saw the busted and burning body of the Puppet Master.

Meanwhile, a figure watched down upon the destruction. He was tall and thin, almost sickly in appearance, and his body was glowing yellow, and had a few circuits sticking out. He wore a hood and a long black cloak over his right shoulder, all outlined with yellow circuits. He looked at the burning body with a grin.

"I am the perfect weapon. It's time to spread my pain... Infect the world... Destroy everything in my path... My purpose is clear. My mission is holy. Everything is coming to an end! And there's nobody to stop me!" Thrax said

Max's suit

Gear: Micro-Mask- a full-face mask that contained a built-in microphone (which allowed hm to amplify and throw his voice), a hearing amplifier, and "photoelectric lenses" that gave him x-ray vision