Chapter Thirty- Three | The Prize of His Eyes

"Abigail?"

The slender, veiled woman who crept in unannounced into my chambers nodded her head.

"It is I, Bathsheba," her warm, familiar voice confirmed.

"Why the secrecy?"

She approached me cautiously, throwing a glance behind her to confirm we were alone. Once her hands had clasped mine she unveiled herself.

"I have urgent news, Bathsheba. I never thought I would see it with my own eyes. I was on my way to visit the King's chambers, but was turned away. Michal was already admitted. Bathsheba, it has been years since she has visited his chambers. It can only mean on thing- she has her sights set on reclaiming his favor once more. The King is at his weakest... after his son- your son... and Tamar. She will prey upon his weakness and use it against him. If she regains his favor ... it will not be well for any of us in the palace."

The fear in her voice was palpable. I had never seen Abigail so unnerved before, except when I lost my son. I trusted her. She had never lied to me nor lead my astray. She was a true ally to me ever since I came to the palace.

"Abigail, I appreciate you telling me, but what do you want me to do about it?"

Her grip on my palms tightened.

"You are the only one who can turn the King's eye from her. If you go to him, he will surely cast her aside before she can sink her claws into him."

I had never heard Abigail talk about Michal in such a manner before. She always bit her tongue.

"Was it truly so terrible when she was his favorite?"

Her ashen face tightened. A single fell down her face. She gulped back the painful memories. I felt ashamed for even asking; it was plainly answered by her face alone.

"Her cruelty towards the wives, concubines and servants was unimaginable. The palace was a hostile unforgiving place. Back biting and spies. Treachery around every corner. I can't let it happen again without atleast trying to prevent it. Not just for my sake, but for everyone in the palace."

I nodded my head, affirming I believed her. Relief washed over her face.

"I will go, but only to draw him away from her, I can promise nothing else."

"Thank you, sister," she whispered, before covering her face once more and slipping into the shadows.