Chapter 23: The Sacrifice

The match is just mere minutes away from start. Regina, Ashley and Lyra are taken to the armory where they will be given their equipment for the upcoming match. The guards behind them lock the iron door. There are two more guards in the room with a gatekeeper. The crowd can be heard from the outside anticipating the upcoming match excitedly.

Ashley is given a purple glowing broadsword...

Ashley: How am I going to defend myself with...THIS? I am no skilled melee combatant...

Regina: Yeah and you want me to believe that? No skilled melee combatant, you kicked my butt fifteen years ago!

Ashley: Your strength is on par with me. We are comparable in terms of fist fighting capabilities and physical condition. You are just a normal girl, just like me. You are not some kind of buffed up murderous beast that lives for bloodshed, like the guys we are going to be put up against out there. This is a decisive moment in my life, you know? I am hurt....in pain and I have no idea if I am going to leave this island alive in this state...

Regina: I understand your concerns. I'll try to protect you while trying to stay alive myself. We are friends and that's what friends do to each other. We cover our backs. I am speaking to you as well, Ms. Science.

Lyra: I'm glad I wasn't left out.

Regina is given two orange glowing sabers...

Regina: Two promising sabers for me? That just reignites my hope of survival.

Ashley: You get the fancier weapons, nice. Just put them to good use and get us that win.

Lyra gets an ax roughly around her size...

She confronts the gatekeeper...

Lyra: What the?....I am sorry if I sound too fussy but I hate that we are getting predetermined sets of equipment like this! I wish we could get to choose from a variety of weapons but nah, I am given one small silly axe that will break with the first swing... I am a dead bun already. Give me something mean-looking, something that will inspire fear in those freaks in the arena!

The Gatekeeper: Shut up ya long-eared hare.

Regina: What about our armor?

The Gatekeeper: You ain't getting anything to increase your chances of survival.

Regina: Our opponents better have the same equipment then. You gotta be fair-minded because this is all bullshit.

The Gatekeeper: Accept what you are given or get executed in one of our execution chambers.

Regina: Okay, okay...I won't grumble about it.

The Gatekeeper: That's what I like to hear. Now line up.

The three are lined up next to each other by two guards...

Regina: If we combine our powers and use teamwork to our advantage, we will live through this horrendous day!

The bell inside the arena rings signalizing the very beginning of the fight...

The Gatekeeper: There's your queue! Move out!

The gate opens and the three are forced to step out from the armory into a quite big battleground surrounded by dozens of watchers consisting of criminals and even regular visitors who are all divided from each other. As soon as Regina, Ashley and Lyra walk onto the sand ground of the arena, the majority of the watchers start cheering for them. There's a balcony where Lazarus oversees the whole arena. He shares a few words with the audience using a microphone.