Chapter 6

It's been a week. A week since Dante took me on that date. A week since he kissed me on the sidewalk. A week since I gave him my number. But I haven't heard or even seen him since then.

I brush it off and get on with my life. He's just a guy; albeit a nice, funny, polite, and hot as hell guy. I'm definitely not his type, especially now that he knows I live in Harlem. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up about him.

"Charlie," Sophie hisses, scuttling into the kitchen.

"What?" I reply as I keep kneading dough.

"You have to come out here," she breathes out.

I furrow my brow and cover the dough before following her. I scan over the shop, trying to figure out what's so important, and my face drops.

Dante is at his usual table in his usual suit. But that's not the issue here. There's a gorgeous blonde woman sitting beside him, laughing and talking over their coffees. A little girl, probably seven or eight, sits with them as well. My gaze travels to the super model's hand and I grimace. She wears a huge diamond on her finger.

My stomach lodges itself in my throat. So that's why he never called. Why he hasn't come in all week. Because he's fucking married with a kid.

"I'm sorry," Sophie whispers.

"It's fine," I clear my throat, "I'm fine. Just go back to work."

I brush past back into the kitchen and rake my hand through my hair. I really have the worst damn luck with men. I shake my head and head towards the bathroom; just need to splash some water on my face and I'll be good as new. As I turn down the narrow corridor I come face to face with Dante's wife.

"Excuse me," she says softly.

"I had no idea he was married," I blurt out, "I'm sorry but I swear nothing happened. If I had known I wouldn't have even gone out with him in the first place."

The woman's features twist in confusion, "I'm sorry, what?"

Shit. She didn't even know.

"I'm so sorry," I shake my head.

"You-" she stops herself and looks over her shoulder, "I'm not married to Rocco."

"Oh," my shoulders slump. Yet another person who refers to him by his middle name. Weird.

"I just wanted to say that your raspberry scones are delicious," she smiles, "Rocco told me you recommended them."

"Thanks," I reply confusedly.

"Could you point me to the bathroom?" she asks politely.

"Of course," I point to one of the doors in the hallway, "last door on your left."

"Thank you," she chirps before walking past me. She stops and looks at me over her shoulder, "by the way, the little girl out there is my daughter. Rocco doesn't have kids."

"Thanks," I reply slowly.

So he hasn't been ghosting me because he's married. He's just been ghosting me. I take a deep breath and push down my disappointment. I go to the front of the shop and grab the dish tub. As I go around collecting dirty dishes, Dante waves me over.

I hesitantly walk over and prop the tub on my hip, "can I help you, sir?"

His brows knit together, "I'm sorry I haven't been able to come in the last few days. Things got a bit hectic at work."

"It's alright," I wave my hand dismissively, "we get plenty of customers."

"My phone broke," he says, pulling a brand new phone from his pocket, "I didn't have your number."

"Why do you want my number?" I ask.

He scratches the back of his neck, "so I can talk to you even when I'm held up at work."

My lips quirk up in a small smile as heat rushes to my cheeks. He raises his brows expectantly and pushes the unlocked phone towards me. I bite on my lip before putting my number in and handing it back.

"Excuse me, coffee lady?" the little girl says, waving her hand.

"Elle!" Dante hisses, "she has a name."

I laugh lightly and bend down to her level, "what's up?"

"Rocco has a crush on you," she grins, swinging her legs.

Nervous laughter falls from my lips and Dante looks away. His cheeks form a slight blush and I can't help but smile. He looks at me but quickly turns back to the little girl.

"Eat your brownie quietly," he instructs her.

She sticks her tongue out in response, "I'm going to tell daddy you're being mean to me."

"You will do no such thing, little miss," he replies sternly.

"Well, I'll let you enjoy your brunch," I say, still smiling.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Charlotte," Dante smiles. I bite my lip and nod.

"Coffee lady," the girl calls out as I begin to walk away.

I turn back to look at her and she asks, "what's your name? Rocco won't tell Daddy and Zio Gio."

My brows lift and I lock eyes with Dante. He shakes his head no, eyes wide and panicked. I settle on offering her my nickname.

"My name's Charlie," I smile. She nods once and I head for the kitchen again.

"Well?" Sophie grabs my forearm the second my feet hit the tiles.

"Well what?" I ask, carrying the tub to the dish washer.

"Is he married? Is that his kid?" she crosses the room quickly to stand at my side.

"No and no."

"Well?"

I roll my eyes and face her. "He asked for my number again, said he broke his other phone."

She squeals loudly and claps her hands. "You have to tell me the second he texts you."

"Okay, okay," I laugh lightly, "I'll keep you posted."