Chapter 41

Something inside me snapped. The flashing lights. Dante getting handcuffed and stuffed into the back of a cop car. The soldiers just standing there watching. Something snapped.

"Get me a fucking car," I grit out, storming up the stairs.

AJ trails right behind me and asks, "where are you going?"

"I'm getting my shoes," I tell him, turning down the now familiar corridor. "And then we are going to Victoria's."

He doesn't say another word as I push past the men in the hall. I hurry into Dante's room and go right to the closet. I grab some shoes and my coat and head for the stairs again.

AJ waits for me patiently in the hallway and has to quicken his steps to keep up. The men seem to be stuck in a state of shock all throughout the building. Not only is their Don unconscious. Not only is Luca incapacitated. But now Dante is gone.

"You have your assignments," I remind the men lingering in the foyer. "Go."

They disperse immediately, out the front doors and up the stairs. I shrug on my coat as I walk. The front doors are held open for me and I step into the winter air. An SUV is running in front of the doors and I climb into the back.

AJ hops in front and pulls off. My leg bounces uncontrollably throughout the drive. I don't know how Dante was so calm back there. How he was so confident in his ability to get out. I can't help but to worry. Prison is scary and Lord knows how many crimes Dante's actually committed.

The car comes to a stop outside a lavish mansion after about ten minutes. Just like the compound, men in all black pace the perimeter. I get out of the car before the engine is even off. I hurry up the front steps and pound my fist against the door.

The door swings open to reveal a very confused looking guard. I push past him into the lavish home and my eyes go wide. This place is fucking insane with marble floors and expensive paintings. They even have a grand piano right here in the foyer.

I shake my head to remind myself to focus and turn to face the guard, "where is Luca?"

"Upstairs in his office," he replies quickly, gesturing to the stairs. "But there are no visitors at this time."

I ignore his warning and take the stairs two at a time. I skid to a stop at the landing at the second floor. Elle and Enzo go running past, chasing each other down the stairs.

"Isabelle! Lorenzo!" Victoria appears at the landing. "Oh, hi Charlie."

"I need to talk to Luca," I tell her simply.

Her brows crease, "why?"

I glance over my shoulder, making sure the kids are gone, before I say, "Dante got arrested."

"Fuck," she grabs my wrist and pulls me behind her. "Fuck, what happened?"

"I don't know," I tell her truthfully. "Cops showed up and took him away. He said to come here, to come to you."

"You did the right thing," she says, leading me up to the third floor. "Coming here, I mean."

We move through the pristine halls quickly. Passing millions of dollars worth of paintings and sculptures. Victoria comes to a halt in front of large, dark wood doors. Identical to those at the compound's office. But she doesn't knock, she simply swings the door open and strides inside.

Luca is sitting behind another oak desk with his head in his hands. Paperwork is splayed across the surface dotted by empty mugs and whiskey bottles. He looks up when we walk in and my face drops.