Chapter 18

Warning: violence

Christmas is only a couple of days away now. I finished all of my gift shopping over the last couple of days and all that's left is the agonizingly slow wait. It always feels like the last few days before Christmas move impossibly slow. Maybe that's because the cafe stays hectic during that time.

Whether it be the typical businessmen or tourists stopping by, the place is packed. Every table is filled and Sophie and I run back and forth between baking and fulfilling orders.

I'm working on the seventh batch of gingerbread cookies for the day. I put the new tray of cookies into the oven and set the timer. I wipe my hands on my apron as I walk out to the front.

The line at the counter has shortened and Sophie moves around the espresso machine quickly. I take my post behind the second register and wave the next customer over. A smile stays fixed on my face as I make order after order.

"I can't wait for Christmas," Sophie declares as she puts a customer's order on the counter.

"Me too," I agree quickly. We get a full week off for Christmas; one of the two times during the year that we are guaranteed a break.

"Your mom's having it this year, right?" she asks, punching an order into the machine.

"Yeah," I nod, grabbing a cookie from the display case. "And Dante said he's coming."

"You guys are so cute," she squeals. I roll my eyes and laugh.

"Thanks," I place the customer's order on the counter.

We fall into a concentrated silence. The only words spoken are those to the customers. We both move quickly and efficiently. We flit around the work space, never once knocking into each other even though we don't speak. It's nice to be able to be in sync with someone like that.

The timer dings and I close my register. I hustle back into the kitchen and take the cookies out of the oven. I carefully transfer them onto a cooling rack before turning off the oven. I bring the dirty dishes to the sink and begin to scrub.

Sophie strides into the kitchen carrying a dish tub. She fills the dishwasher quickly before scuttling past. I wash my hands before joining her at the front. The line from before is gone and every table is filled. Even Dante's table is occupied albeit not by him.

The bell above the door dings, pulling my attention. Dante walks inside and stomps the show off his shoes. But I can tell right away that something is wrong; he looks stressed.

"Hey lover boy," Sophie chirps.

"Hi Sophie," he drawls, reaching for his wallet.

"The usual?" I ask, already moving for the espresso machine.

"Please, amore," he puts his black card on the counter.

Sophie rings him up while I make his cappuccino. I grab a scone from the display and put both items on the counter. He offers me a weak smile before looking over the other patrons.

"Hey," I say softly, stepping out from behind the counter. I stand in front of him and place my hand on his forearm. "What's wrong?"

"Work," he shakes his head, looking down at me.

"I'm sorry," I reply quickly.

His brows tighten and he tilts his head. "You have nothing to apologize for, dolcezza."

"I know, I mean- I just-" I can't find the right words. But Dante chuckles before kissing the top of my head.

"You're cute when you get flustered," he smiles.