The 287th Hunter Exam: Pre Exam

"Hisoka, if it's the last thing I do I will strangle you to death!" I screamed aloud, shoving him off me as he tried to press all his body weight on me on the cramped fisherman's boat.

He grumbled, slurring his words, "I'm tired...won't you be a dear and let your comrade rest his head on your shoulder?"

"Hisoka we are nearly to our destination so please, if you want a nice and breezy journey you will spare me. I have been this close to drowning myself with the stench of fish and sea salt water making me nauseous." I begged, my head pounding. "I already have to stick with you if I want to even get to this Exam so can you at least try not to drive me crazy?"

Since the moment I checked out of my hotel with him it's been one nuisance after the other. Hisoka wanted to stop by anything that caught his eye, nearly dragging me into a nasty bar but I threatened to ditch him and he gave in to me for once. Then he revealed our general destination was further away than we could reach just by taxi or train, so we had to bribe an elderly fisherman to allow us passage on his disgusting and rancid smelling boat with crabs, tuna and shrimp along for the ride.

Hisoka was no help. He was purposefully getting under my skin, just for the reaction I would give him. If only I were composed and could ignore him, but my emotions are stronger than my will at times. And I have to endure until the fisherman finally lets us off at the mainland of Dolle Harbor where supposedly Hisoka and I will find the destination for the 287th Hunter Exam.

"Fu, you have such a temper." Hisoka sighed, stretching his back out with his arms up to the sky. He paused momentarily as his narrowed slit eyes caught sight of something in the sky, "Ah, a bird. You know what that means?"

That land was nearby, I could see it myself on the horizon to my left.

As long as there are no obstacles in our way to shore we would be there soon enough and off the damn water. I wonder how I would be able to explain to Chrollo and the others why I wouldn't want to head out to sea if something were to come up because of this incident solely.

I hugged my bag to my chest, scowling as my orange hair flowed in the wind, hints of saltwater spraying onto my face. I regretted not bringing any hair ties, the only thing keeping a few of the strands of my hair in my face was the goggles strapped to my forehead. Yet, even then my curtain bangs were still in the way, maybe I should consider a haircut sometime.

I fiddled with a piece of my hair tucked between my fingers, my attention averted when a sight in the mood shifted. It was an unexpected occurrence, one that took me a moment to pinpoint and make clear to myself. My mood only worsened as I noticed the sight of the deep ocean blue water's waves were getting clearer to see than before when we were once speeding through them. The sound of the engine quieting down.

"The boat is slowing down." I muttered. "We still have at least fifteen miles until we reach shore."

Hisoka nodded beside me, both of us side eyeing the fisherman behind the wheel in perfect view with his eyes scrunched up and expression lax, "Quite odd indeed. You paid him handsomely so I wonder what the issue could be."

Was this fisherman trying to rob us? No, he is too frail and slim to do something like that on his own. Hisoka and I could easily take care of him in multiple ways with ease, like squashing a bug. He showed no distress in that lax expression of his, either this was just another odd nuisance or something bigger was about to go down.

I lightly nudged my traveling companion, "Hisoka. Your judgment?"

He flashed me a thin lipped smile, eyes closed.

"Fufu, why, that's simple." He chuckled. "We chose the wrong boat."

His message was more sinister than it should have sounded with that sort of wording along with his expression.