Magic Eaters

For a kitchen full of people, the room was awfully quiet

For a kitchen full of people, the room was awfully quiet. The only sound that lingered was the clapping and rumbling of hooves coming from Max Masschester III riding a horse in the corral stationed just outside the main farmhouse. The Novak family simply sat there... listening. They knew their time living at the farm was coming to an end, June was still gone, their magic was still broken and no one had a good answer to the question, 'what next?'

While no one had a good answer, Grandpa Novak surely wanted to find one. He watched Max from the kitchen window. He analyzed him. And he racked his quick-moving mind for ideas...

We can just pick up and leave, Grandpa Novak thought. Meet June in Hawaii. That'd be perfect. However, this family seems like they want to stay here. Not sure why. There are some dangers out there, sure. Maybe we should stay here. Remain undetected. But this damn Max. What's his endgame here? Kick us out... Why? I need to find a way for us to stay. I just don't know how. And I am damn sick of this place, too. What to do? Damn this.

"Here we go again." Anna pounded her fist on the table and shook her head. "Kids, we'll need to figure out our next stop and how to get in touch with June. I'm sorry, but I think we are just doomed for a life on the run."

Grandpa Novak exhaled out of his nose like an angry bull. Anna interrupting his train of thoughts was painfully irritating to him. "So stop running."

"What was that?" Anna replied.

Grandpa Novak repeated the words very slowly this time. "Stop running."

"Sounds great, but we are not invited to stay here any longer and the mysterious they is always waiting in the shadows," Anna replied.

"I am not referring to we, I am offering this advice to you."

Anna leaned forward to make sure she was hearing Grandpa Novak correctly. "Come again?"

"How many times shall I repeat myself? Stop running."

Anna's voice grew louder. "We don't have that luxury."

"We are in hiding. You want to be done with the running, so stop running," Grandpa Novak replied.

"Are you serious?" Anna asked.

"We'll go on the move. June will find us, and when she does, she'll get our magic back, because that's what a breathtaker does, and we'll hit the road. The traveling magician show back in business. You can live at the same home in some Podunk town for the rest of your life and never worry about magic or running or any of the things you oh so love to complain about. Viola!"

Anna gritted her teeth and clenched her fists. "Watch it."

"You can find a new husband, kids. Of the non-magical sort of course."

Anna was nearly at her breaking point. "Stop!"

"Problem solved." Grandpa Novak waved his hands through the air. "Abracadabra."