Chapter Fourteen

Ok so this still needs to be edited but I'm just so excited that the story is about to hit it's climax in the next three chapters that I wanted to get it up as soon as possible XD Happy Reading....

Chapter fifteen

New York….

The days after the attack seemed to melt together, Caleb floated around my apartment reluctant to leave while Ally seemed glued to the TV room, Mason told her Caleb’s apartment had been broken into but only Caleb and I knew the truth about what happened. Matt stayed over and Jeremy had become a fixture. I stayed in my room as much as possible, claiming that I had a load of homework to catch up on before leaving for New York on Saturday; Caleb was the only one who knew I was lying. Mason was wrapped up in work; I could tell by the distant look in his eyes that whatever his case was it was bothering him, I never asked him about it.

I could hear Ally watching the “Little Mermaid” in the TV room from my spot on my bed; I could hear Matt and Jeremy’s voices as the pleaded with Ally to watch anything else. I just stared blankly at my book, my brain refusing to focus on anything but the fake vision of my mom. I reached into my pocket and retrieved my phone; I hesitated slightly before dialling her number. A part of me knew she wasn’t going to answer but there was a small part of me that still hoped. Please, I silently begged. I was just about to hang up when her voice came over the speaker.

“Hello?”

“Mom?” I smiled.

“Emily! Are you okay?” she almost sounded concerned but I could still hear the distraction in her voice.

“Yea… I guess I just wanted to hear your voice. How are you? How’s Johnny?”

“I’m good…. We’re good. Do you need anything? I just sent your allowance this morning with a little extra for New York, do you need more?” I heard a female voice in the background whispering to her, my mother answered her with grunts and O.K’s.

“No actually….. I wanted to tell you I was ok…. I know Mason rang you the other night after the…. Incident,” I paused and waited for her reaction.

“What incident?” the question felt like a slap in the face, she didn’t even care enough to remember that someone had tried to kill her own daughter.

“Never mind… I got to go,” I whispered around the lump growing in my throat, I tossed my phone onto the bed and lay back staring at the ceiling.

I felt his presence before he even spoke; it was like he sucked all the air out of the room and replaced it with his amazing smell. But I didn’t acknowledge him, my body suddenly drained of all its energy and the mere thought of turning to face him felt like running a marathon. I could hear his footsteps move towards the bed.

“Emily?” his voice was soft and caring, “We’re going to watch the little mermaid, do you want to watch it with us?”

“No, thanks.”

I felt the bed dip as he sat down beside me, his arm reached out and rested on my forearm softly. We sat in silence but Caleb just being there made me feel lighter, stronger. I found the energy to sit up and face him, his eye was less swollen but still a harsh purple colour, his head was still bandaged. I reached out and ran my thumb over the bruise resting my palm on his cheek, the feel of his skin on mine seemed to electrify the air around us. The sound of the busy apartment faded away until all there was left was me and Caleb. He winced slightly but he didn’t move, he just sat there, looking back at me his eyes filled with concern, fear and something else.

“I love you, Emily. I know I only know you a little over two months and I know you’re still my student but when I saw that man trying to kill you, trying to….. I could feel my world ending. I know how stupid it sounds, how ridiculous it sounds but I can’t bear the thought of losing you….. I love you!” Caleb paused, he’d moved closer on the bed with each word he said until he eventually pulled me onto his lap. A heavy silence filled the room as he waited for me to say something; my heart was racing in my chest as tears stung my eyes. I loved him too, but anonymous wants him dead. I know that much is true. I opened my mouth to tell him to leave, to tell him that we couldn’t be together; that all this was just a fling and it meant nothing. But when I opened my mouth, “I love you, too” just fell out. He kissed me easily flipping me back onto the bed so that he lay on top of me. Our tongues mingled as our hands roamed, the kiss felt electric like every nerve, muscle or cell that had been asleep for the last few days had just awoken with a vengeance. Somewhere deep inside me my logical mind was telling me that we needed to stop, that Mason could come home at any moment and catch us but my emotional and sexual mind took hold and willed my physical self to ravage Caleb’s body. I felt Caleb’s hand slide down my stomach and push my top up, his mouth broke away from my mine and trailed little kisses down my neck. All the muscles in my stomach contracted as his left hand found its way up the inside of my leg, till suddenly it all stopped. Caleb flew off me and rolled onto the floor, the sudden absence of his touched left me feeling empty and cold. I looked around the empty room wondering what had spurred him to stop.