The Best Team

Lucy had never expected for Grayson to touch her.  She wasn't scared, but surprised by his sudden vulnerability.   It wasn't a violent or hard grab, rather one that signifies that he didn't want her to leave. 

She looked back at him, and he didn't let her go.  She saw his icy eyes looking tenderly at her, glassy, and said "Wait".  "Ok" Lucy replied.  She was confused but honestly loving that he didn't want her to go anywhere.  He simply stood there in silence.  "I haven't seen you around lately, why is that?  Are you avoiding me?" asked Lucy.  She already knew the answer, if he weren't trying to actively avoid her, they would have crossed paths by now.  "Yes" he admitted after a few moments of silence. He almost looked ashamed.  "Why" Lucy asked, there was nothing else she could ask, she couldn't come up with any reason for him to not want to see her.  Their only interaction thus far is when they meet that day in the foyer. 
"Did I do anything to make you hate me?" "No" he replied "and who ever said I hated you?"
"I guess I had just assumed" Lucy said.
"Why ever would anyone hate you?"
"I couldn't tell you, but based on your avoidance, I can't imagine another reason why you would be so unhappy to see me."

"Maybe you didn't know this, darling , but my family is out to get you." "Every moment you are in this godforsaken house, you are in danger."  said Grayson looking around frantically then placing his gaze on Lucy.

"What?" she truly didn't believe she heard Grayson right. 

"If it were up to me, I would have gotten you out of here as soon as I could, but you know the terms of the inheritance."

"What kind of danger am I in?  Is it your family I should be worried about, or you?  Also, why are you of all people telling me this?"

"I just want to keep you safe."

"BUT WHY??" Lucy replied in a tone a little too aggressive than she had meant it to sound.

Grayson didn't reply to that line of questioning and began pacing around the room. 

"Why can you have a simple conversation about this?" prodded Lucy.

"I can't tell you too much because I don't want you to get yourself into trouble.  I would never forgive myself.  I wish that you could just run away from this life." said Grayson

"Actually, if it were up to me I would run away with you" he said under his breath.

Lucy acted like she didn't just hear what he whispered.  "I'm not going to give up on this fortune just because of your family being threatening." 

He looked a little nervous at that comment.

"I'm not going to run away from anything."  said Lucy with assertiveness in her voice.

"If you want to be helpful, then let's team up and figure out how to make me living here work with your family looming."

Grayson seemed to perk up at the suggestion.