01. games of deceit

CHAPTER ONE
GAMES OF DECEIT
— KINGS LANDING, 107 AC

CHAPTER ONEGAMES OF DECEIT— KINGS LANDING, 107 AC

⠀⠀⠀⠀During the third moon of the 107th year after Aegon's Conquest, Princess Vaerya Targaryen was set to be married to Lord Madwen Hightower in a grand ceremony

⠀⠀⠀⠀During the third moon of the 107th year after Aegon's Conquest, Princess Vaerya Targaryen was set to be married to Lord Madwen Hightower in a grand ceremony. According to the small council, it would be an event so splendid that the likes of it hadn't been seen since King Viserys I Targaryen's marriage to Queen Aemma.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The first month of the couple's betrothal was cordial enough. The pair functioned as best two strangers could in their circumstances. It should be noted that the lord appeared much more enthusiastic about the proposal. But why wouldn't he be? He was being married to a princess, therefore becoming a prince consort. She attempted to entertain the idea of marrying the man, agreeing to the daily walks through the castle gardens that the man offered. He showered her with plenty of gifts, which she accepted with a kind smile. They took three meals a week together, though he often pushed for more. When she declined, he was cordial, never showing the temper he was said to have.

⠀⠀⠀⠀The second month was when things began to change. The two still strolled through the gardens each afternoon, though servants whispered that it often seemed the lord was dragging around his soon-to-be wife. His hand was reportedly always clasped around her wrist instead of his arm linked with hers. She was never seen to wear any of the jewelry he had gifted her, causing tensions to rise. When she refused to replace the Valaryian steel bracelet given to her by her half-brother for his golden bangle encrusted with emeralds, he raised his voice and called her a plethora of insults. Her sworn sword stepped in, reporting the incident straight to the small council, though the king and her stepfather were not in attendance and purposely never told. The lord was forced to apologize, and though she accepted it, the princess didn't dine with him for the rest of the month.