A Tragedy in a Happy Home

The chorus sings of Sora during the opening credits.

Chorus: Sora, you're as lovely as your name. Sora, you're a sunset in a frame.

Hikari 'Kari' Yagami/ Kamiya joins in with the chorus as its soloist.

Hikari 'Kari' Yagami/ Kamiya: Though you're dressed in rags, you wear an air of queenly grace. Anyone can see a throne would be your proper place.

The opening chorus starts to sing as a group once again.

Chorus: Sora, if you give your heart a chance, it will lead you to the kingdom of romance. There you'll see your dreams unfold, Sora, Sora, in the sweetest story ever told.

The chorus exits the scene. Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue, the narrator, comes onto the scene as soon as the chorus exits.

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue: Once upon a time in a faraway land, there was tiny kingdom, peaceful, prosperous, and rich in romance and tradition. In a stately chateau at the far edge of the kingdom lived a couple with their lovely daughter, Sora.

Sora comes in and talks to the animals of the garden, even the mice.

Sora Takenouchi: You mice shouldn't be out here. You're all house mice not garden mice. And you all certainly mustn't eat Mr. Goose's food. Isn't that right, mother?

Toshiko Takenouchi: Do you still believe that they can understand you?

Sora Takenouchi: Don't they, though, mother?

Toshiko Takenouchi: Yes, Sora, I believe with all my heart that animals listen and speak to us if we had the ear for it.

The mice seem to agree with Toshiko.

Toshiko Takenouchi (continued): That's how we learn to look after them.

Sora Takenouchi: Who looks after us, mother?

Toshiko Takenouchi: Fairy godmothers, of course.

Sora Takenouchi: And do you believe in them?

Toshiko Takenouchi: I believe in everything.

Sora Takenouchi: Then, I believe in everything, too.

The scene suddenly comes to Haruhiko riding in a car to the family's stately chateau along with his driver.

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue: Her father was a merchant who went abroad and brought back tribute from all manner of foreign lands.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: Sora! Where are my girls?! My beautiful girls?! Where are my sweethearts?!

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue: Sora missed her father terribly whenever he was away. But she knew he would always return.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: There she is. There's my darling daughter.

The scene exits and it's time to go to bed. Toshiko and Haruhiko finish putting their daughter down to bed and leave her bedroom, but not before Toshiko catches a light cough.

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue: But sorrow can come to any land, no matter how happy.

Toshiko falls to her feet into Haruhiko's arms. She is dying. The scene cuts out to the following morning with Haruhiko and Sora being told to go and visit Toshiko in her final hours via the orders from the chateau's physician.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: Come on, Sora. We must go see your mother in her final hours.

Haruhiko and Sora walk into Toshiko's room to wish her a fond farewell before she could give up her fight to keep living.

Toshiko Takenouchi: Sora, my darling daughter, I want to tell a secret, a great secret that will see you through all of the trials that life could ever offer. Maintain the love in your heart and always be brave and kind. I was hard on you all these years because I believed in you, and I've always believed that you possess more love in your pinky finger than most people have in their whole bodies, and your love has power. More than you know, my dear Sora. Where there is love, there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is beauty, and where there is beauty there are dreams, and where there are dreams there is magic. Maintain the love in your heart and always be brave and kind, my darling daughter. Will you promise me, my dear Sora?

Sora starts to tear up as she grieves for her mother in Toshiko's dying hours.

Sora Takenouchi: I promise you, mom.

Haruhiko and Sora start to tear up at the realization that Toshiko is dying, but she tells them to not despair over her death.

Toshiko Takenouchi: I must go very soon, my loves. Will you please forgive me for leaving you both?

Sora embraces her mother.

Sora Takenouchi: Of course, I forgive you, mom.

Haruhiko joins Sora and Toshiko in their embrace, as Toshiko dies in their arms.

The scene cuts to the field outside, and Haruhiko and his daughter are seen wearing black to signify themselves having gone to Toshiko's funeral.

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue: Time passed, and pain turned to memory.

The scene changes to Haruhiko and Sora going into the field with Sora slightly older than before, but only by two or three years older than before.

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue (continued): In her heart, Sora remained the same, for she remembered her promise to her mother; "Maintain the love in your heart and always be brave and kind".

Sora reads a book as she goes to the living room of her chateau to see her father. The screen then cuts to Haruhiko.

Miyako 'Yolei' Inoue (continued): Her father, however, was much changed and hoped for better times to be ahead of him and his daughter. Although Haruhiko was a kind and devoted father and gave his lovely young Sora every luxury and comfort, he began to feel that she still needed a mother's love, care, and affection to come back into her life. And so, he made the decision to begin anew with his family.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: I think it may be time to begin a new chapter in our lives, my dear daughter.

Sora Takenouchi: Indeed, it is, father.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: You recall that some time ago in my travels, I made the acquaintance of Sir Shigeru Motomiya.

Sora Takenouchi: Yes, the master of the merchants' guild, isn't he?

Haruhiko Takenouchi: Was. The poor man has died, alas. His widow, an honorable woman, finds herself alone though still in her prime.

Sora nods her head at the idea and understands just what Haruhiko is saying.

Sora Takenouchi: You were worried about telling me, but you shouldn't have been. Not if it'll lead to your happiness.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: Yes, happiness. Do you think I may be allowed one last chance? Even though, I had thought things were done for good with your mother's passing.

Sora Takenouchi: Of course, I do, father.

Sora goes up to Haruhiko for a hug from her father.

Haruhiko Takenouchi: She'll merely be your stepmother, and she also has two daughters who can keep you company.