Chapter 8: With a little help from my friends

The devil was a nightmarish backseat driver.

"Watch out for that car it's swerving into our lane."

"Speed up."

"The light is turning yellow gun it."

"You almost hit that little old lady."

"If you go any slower the engine will cease."

Exasperated Chloe turned to him. "Will you just shut up?! I get you are anxious because I'm driving your precious car but I'll get you home in one piece."

"You should have just let me drive." He sulked back in the seat.

"No -- you are on medications and the doctor gave strict orders," Chloe growled.

He didn't speak the rest of the way. Either too annoyed or too tired. She suspected both.

She took his arm as he got out of the car and he didn't protest. He leaned against the elevator wall on the way up and she could see he was fading fast.

When they arrived she realized that Maze wasn't there. "Where is Maze she needs to take care of you."

"Likely out shagging Amenadiel." He grinned. "Don't worry Detective I'll be fine on my own. Go pick up your spawn."

"What's Maze's number," Chloe demanded.

"She doesn't have a phone -- she's not fond of gadgets." He smirked. "Unless they have sexual purposes."

"Gross. Well, that's just great. Come on you need to be in bed."

Lucifer sat down on the sofa looking a bit dazed. "I'm fine and I don't want to go to bed."

Chloe forced herself to take a calming breath. Times like this he got on her last nerve -- it was like having a sulky two-year-old. She pulled out her cell phone and went out on the balcony so that he wouldn't overhear. "Dan, I'm heading to pick up Trixie but I need a favor." She explained what had happened.

"Seriously Chloe you want me to babysit your...well whatever he is?" Dan sounded enraged.

She couldn't blame him. He and Lucifer had an intense dislike for each other.

"Just until his bartender gets home. She'll take it from there. If you won't do it I'll have to bring him home with me. He's sick he needs someone to be here in case his temperature goes up again or he passes out. Look I wouldn't be asking if I had an alternate choice," she pleaded.

"Couldn't you just leave him in the hospital?" Dan asked irritably.

"They didn't have any room -- accident or something." She bit her lip at her outright lie. No way was she telling him that Lucifer was too freaked out to stay there.

"Fine, but the second Maze arrives I'm gone," he grumbled.

"What? You know Maze?"

"Uh...I met her when we did the stakeout," he rambled. Maze hadn't been there but hopefully, Chloe wouldn't remember. There was no way he would tell her how she had knocked him out, stripped him naked, and somehow put him in Chloe's bed.

"Thanks, Dan...I owe you one." She went back inside to find Lucifer half asleep. "You'd be so much more comfortable in your bed," she suggested.

"Only if you join me," he added sleepily.

"I have to go, Dan, is going to stay with you until Maze arrives."

He bolted upright. "You can't be serious? Did you coerce Detective Douche to be my babysitter? I'm not a child! That is not going to happen, Detective."