Prolougue

Set in colonial India, in the 1900's when the nationalism movement arose, Ann a beautiful, smart, young woman, is constantly bashed by her step-mother and the society, for being a half-caste. She is an offspring from her father's first marriage to a British woman, who was killed during the early riots, when she was just a babe. Her father retired from his service as an Indian British Official and suffers from early dementia. Supporting the family, proves to be difficult, despite Ann's work as a governess at an Indian British official's household. Her step-mother finds a perfect match for her sister Gauri with the family of an Industrialist to secure her future and the family's wealth. Kalyani Singh Oberoi, the Oberoi family matriarch, finds Gauri simple, beautiful, traditional, and perfect choice for her grandson. The most eligible bachelor in town, who had returned from Cambridge, to run his family Business; Shivaay. He is ruthless, arrogant, and he returns to India with a secret mission in hand. Marriage is the last thing on his mind. But when he meets Ann, he is intrigued by her, and most of all he sees an opportunity.

———————————————————————

"DIDI...DIDI" Gauri came running and jumped on to the bed. "Gauri...my sweet sister what makes you wake up this early? Are you this excited to meet your future husband?" Ann wiped her eyes open, and teased her baby sister. " Oh...C'mon Didi...Not like I sleep in like you! You hate to wake up in the morning...I am even surprised, you even agreed to start this job to teach uncle Randhawa's kids."  Ann hugged her sister and placed a kiss on her cheek. "I know...I hate mornings...I wish the sun never rose! Everything is more peaceful at night when the moon shines bright! What to do sister mine? I have to buy you pretty earrings to wear for your wedding! So poor Didi has to get up early in the morning! " Ann said jokingly and Gauri made a face.

"Ma says we have to go for some welcome party! We are invited! Mr.Oberoi's grandmother wants us all to be there!"

"Err...Gauri you know Ma doesn't want me there? And besides Papa needs someone to look after him...So I am sorry...I won't be there with you today!"

"I wish if papa can come too!" Gauri  sighed.

She was betrothed to the most eligible bachelor in town. She didn't know why she was not feeling happy about it. After all what else a woman like her could ask for? "Are you okay? You look nervous! You should be excited! This is what you've always wanted right? To get married, have a rich husband and have maids to wait on you! I hear that he's very good looking too!" Ann winked. Gauri pushed her playfully and walked up to the window.

She knew her sister was working hard for her and the family, and if she get's married things will get easier. She never was good in studies like Ann. Ann was well versed, master of English literature since she was a child. Their father, had ensured that they both got an education, despite them being girls. Maybe Ann's love for education, was thanks to her own mothers genes. They say Aunty Lizzy used to be a teacher too, when she first came to India. On the other hand, Gauri's mother Avantika, was a direct descendent, of the Rajputs, and wanted to ensure that Gauri will one day be married to an elite Indian family. She was raised to be the perfect, Indian Bahu. Gauri was fine with it too. She excelled in embroidery, cooking, hosting religious events, comparing to Ann. It felt like she purposely didn't want to learn any of it. She wondered after she leaves the house what's going to happen to Ann. She worried for her. "Didi..How come you don't want to get married?" She asked Ann. "Me? Haha...No thank You! I am happy looking after Papa...Ma and You my little Chutki! Besides, tell me anyone in the right mind who would want to tarnish their pure Indian bloodline, by getting married to me? A half-caste? True Papa is from an Elite Indian family...But I'll always have my mother's blood running through my veins like Ma says...And if I do find a hybrid like me, won't I be shaming the great Chandravansh/Trivedi Khandans again? Our Daadi will dig herself out of her grave, to come and kill me!" Ann had a weird sense of humour Gauri thought.