Cloudy Skies...

Shivaay finally got back to work, after Om and Gauri's wedding. Much of his work was lagging behind, because of the celebrations. After the wedding, he had no reason to meet with Ann. They were in fact friends but in the society they lived in a friendship between a man and a woman could never exist out in public, unless they were to be wed. He didn't want to complicate their lives any further. He decided that it was all for the best. She was starting to have this power over him, to second guess his decisions, which scared him. All this time he was the master of manipulation, Machiavelli's henchman. Since the day he dared to open up, her words kept echoing in his ears. "Choosing the easy way isn't always the right way!" He had to remind himself; this new found friendship with Ann cannot come in the way of his ambitions! In spite of that, he found himself, craving for a cup of tea that she makes oh so perfectly, and to hear her childish laughter that brought him joy at times. But Shivaay was at a crossroad. It was time to meet Daksh. He had news from the high commission, that the political tides were turning, and a new high commissioner would soon be appointed. This would be the perfect opportunity he was waiting for, to put his plan into action.

                ———————————————————————————————————————————

A few weeks, after Guari's wedding, Ann was missing her sister dearly. Gauri had been extremely busy as the Oberoi Bahu, and Avantika Ma, had kept to herself, even forgetting to be mean to her at times. Perhaps she was missing her daughter more than ever. Papa, spent most of his days, dazed. Dr. Arora, had reassured Ann, that he was healthy, other than slowly succumbing to Alzheimer's. She returned back to teaching at Mr.Randhawa's, who was kind enough to take Ann to the high commission, to show her around. He had introduced her to most of his colleagues, who were highly impressed with her. She found that only a handful of women worked at the high commission and hoped this wouldn't be an obstacle. Mr.Smith who had gone on holiday had finally returned, and invited her over for the interview that was promised. She was nervous but prepared. This was the opportunity she was waiting for. If she get's selected, she will get to work under the education department, and also complete her teacher training. She could do much more for her kids in the night school.

She continued to sneak out to teach them every other day, in the disguise of lighting a candle for Momma. Saahil particularly, had taken a keen interest on translating lately, and he was getting good at it. He still had to be on a cast for his broken leg, but he never failed to attend classes.Saahil had mentioned seeing Mr.Oberoi recently in an old abandoned mill in Kurla. She decided it is none of her business, maybe little Saahil was mistaken. She had not crossed paths with Shivaay Singh Oberoi, since the wedding, and in a way she was relieved. This friendship with him comforted and scared her at the same time. Nevertheless she found herself craving for a conversation with the blue eyed monster. Even an argument would do at this point! She thought childishly. Then she reminded herself, a man who is selfish, as Shivaay Singh Oberoi, would not think the same. He was probably too busy in his own work, pursuing his ambitions, whatever they were. She was going to do the same.

Finally it was the the day of the interview. Ann woke up early, enthusiastically. She changed into her favourite long sleeved cotton blouse, and her usual boring long brown skirt. She ran to greet papa, who was looking more dazed than usual today. "Lizzy...wait...Lizzy!" He kept calling out to Momma. Papa...It's Ann...I am going for the interview today...wish me luck!" She placed a peck on her fathers cheek and headed out with hope. At the high commission she found a plethora of male candidates. There was one more woman who was sitting in the corner patiently. She went and sat next to her. " Hello...I am Ann..."  She introduced herself. "Hello...Malika! Nice to meet you Ann!" The woman was bright spirited. "I hope we'll get through and not these Mustachios!" , She said, making Ann laugh. "Let's hope for the best!" They shook hands.
                                    ————————————————————————————-