Night

Chilli crept into the kitchen. She opened up the freezer door and spied a newly-purchased gallon of chocolate ice cream. Before she could lay her hands on it, someone behind her tapped her shoulder. She turned around.

"That's not just yours, you know," Bandit said. "You could share."

"Go back to sleep, Bandit."

"I must remain vigilant, to make sure no one's being sneaky behind my back."

"I'm sorry, I just..."

"Have your cravings, I know. It's natural, yes, but I'd rather not run out of my favourite ice cream when we just bought it."

Chilli went back to the bedroom and Bandit laid beside her. She set one hand on her little baby bump, their child moving slightly. Soon, she'd give birth to what would hopefully be a sweet healthy baby.

She worried almost constantly about the kid. What if something was wrong with it? What if it died? What if she died? She feared the worst.

Bandit, on the other hand, seemed really optimistic. He'd brighten her up whenever she started worrying about losing the baby.

But, although he'd never say anything aloud, he feared for the kid, too. Even if it came out okay and survived, he worried he wouldn't be a good father.

"We'll be okay, right?" Chilli asked. "Everything's going to be fine?"

"I think so," Bandit responded, hugging her. "We'll be alright. We've got each other. We're a team."

"I really hope so."

"Trust me. Would I ever let you down?"

"...No. You wouldn't."

Bandit gave her a kiss, and the couple drifted off to sleep.