Party in London

Chilli stepped out of the car, and smoothed out her dress. Her first big party. And in beautiful London, no doubt!

"I'll talk to you later, Dad," she said into her phone.

"Hold on, Chilli, before you hang up, promise me you won't get tangled up in some romantic mess."

"I think I'm old enough to love whoever I please."

"I know...but I just...I don't want you getting your heart broken. I've been down that road before, and it hurts."

"Okay, I'll watch myself. No falling in love..."

"I'll see you soon, Chilli. You can tell me all about the party when you come back home."

Chilli hung up and walked into the hall where the party was held. She took an elevator to the top floor, which was where most of the action was. As soon as the doors opened, she could hear chatter in various levels of drunkenness, classical music playing, and glasses clinking.

She looked around for a seat, and noticed one open one beside two men who appeared to be arguing.

"No, I can't," Bandit said. "I'm not falling in love again. It hurts too much."

"So, you had one bad experience with a crush," Stripe said. "It doesn't mean you have to stop loving. Go on, get a girl."

"Hey, Stripe, you getting over here or not?" someone called out.

"In a minute, yeesh!" he said, standing up and leaving.

"W-wait, no--" Bandit stuttered, but Stripe had already disappeared.

He sighed deeply and stared at his empty platter. He wasn't ready to fall in love again...

"Is this seat taken?" someone asked.

"No."

The person sat down across from him, and he looked up. He had locked eyes with a beautiful female Red Heeler. He could swear he had seen her before...

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," she said, giving him a little wave.

"Have...we met before?"

"No, I don't think so. My name's Chilli."

"I'm Bandit. And I'm pretty sure I've heard that name before."

"Yours doesn't ring a bell."

"Oh, okay. Um...so what brings you here?"

"I've always wanted to visit London. You?"

"My brother dragged me here, knows people. He's trying to get me to fall in love with someone, but I just...can't."

Chilli saw the sad look in his eyes. He, too, had been heartbroken once, like her dad...

"It's okay, you'll find someone."

A waitress came over to their table.

"Would you two like something?" she asked.

"Um...I'll have your finest wine, please," Bandit said.

"And for the lady?"

"Whatever he's having," Chilli responded.

The waitress scribbled something down and left. Bandit kept staring at Chilli; she looked gorgeous in that deep-red dress. The soft light around her made it seem like she was glowing. And as they waited, her ear twitched slightly. It was the cutest thing, he couldn't believe it.

He'd fallen in love again.

The waitress arrived with their wine. Small bubbles sat on its pomegranate-red surface, and Bandit had to resist the childish urge to stick his fingers in and pop them all.