16-2 | Revelation

Tenet returned to where he'd left Mason and Heron. The two of them had made significant progress in clearing an opening, enough for a person to walk through with some difficulty.

Mason turned back toward Tenet. "Did you find the miners?"

"Yeah. Ten of them are still alive. One dead. And I know how to get them out. We just need to get back to town."

Mason raised an eyebrow. "Is there something there that we need?"

Tenet shrugged. "Something there that I need. Trust me. Once we get back to town, we can make sure the miners are safe and get the care they need. Some will need medical attention."

Mason nodded. "Alright. Help me through the gap."

Tenet supported the engineer and walked with him over to the opening, supporting Mason as he knelt down best as he was able. Tenet helped him through the hole where Heron on the other side grabbed hold of the engineer.

Tenet gathered the remaining supplies and followed. He turned to Heron. "Can you help Mason the rest of the way? I'd like to get this done as quickly as possible."

Heron glanced at Mason, who nodded. "Sure thing. Go ahead. Make us proud, apprentice."

Tenet smiled and rushed out of the cave, skidding down the slippery slope to the village. Kylia and several others were waiting for news.

Tenet reassured them. "It's taken care of. Give me just a moment."

Tenet ran to the nearest doorway he could find and touched his hand to it, invoking an opening to the embrance, the realm of thought and memory. As the doorway changed to a magical portal, the townsfolk gasped and some of them moved away cautiously, fearful of wizard magic.

But their fear turned to delight when the trapped miners stumbled out of the doorway, carrying their injured acquaintances. When all ten had emerged, Tenet again touched the portal to release the magic, returning it to an ordinary doorway.

The awed townsfolk cheered as several ran forward to embrace loved ones they feared lost and to see to the needs of the injured.

Heron and Mason moved up beside Tenet. Mason eyed him and clapped on his back. "You're thick-headed, wizard apprentice. I thought I told you to avoid magic. But you got those miners out, safely and quickly. You did good work. I'm just thankful we didn't have to rescue you right along with them."

Tenet sighed. "You're right, Mason. There are parts of this mission I wish I had handled better. But when I saw the trapped miners, I wanted to get them free the fastest way I knew how. They weren't in any condition to climb a rope. I couldn't put them in any more danger. If anyone should face a risk, I wanted it to be me."

Mason twisted his face as he thought about this and gave a half nod. "I'd rather have a solution that doesn't put you or them in danger, Tenet. But the mission is successful. Let's celebrate. Hot drinks are on me."

With a smile, they made their way to relax and celebrate with the rejoicing villagers.